1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available USA Peavey Cirrus 4: flamed maple/alder, birdseye maple board!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, May 10, 2019.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Price:
    Strings:
    I just bought this beauty on Ebay and, having never played a Cirrus before, I didn't realize how shallow the neck would be, top to bottom. The nut width is to my liking (about 1.60") but the neck depth is not. Plus, the radius is very flat and I'm used to a rounder fingerboard.
    Additionally, the neck has a very thin oil (I think) finish that needs to be maintained and it looks, from the pictures I took, that it could use as coat or two.

All that said, this is likely a dream player for someone with smaller hands. And for someone who likes "almost bare wood" feeling finishes. I prefer satin finishes and round fingerboards so it's not for me. Too bad, because it's simply gorgeous, set up perfectly, and sounds amazing. I don't know the weight but it feels like a feather compared to my other basses.

I found these specs from the seller:

35" scale. 1.60" nut width. 8 lbs even.
    .73"-.90" 1st to 12th fret neck depth.

Excellent condition, but please look at the next post's pictures to get an idea of how different the neck and body finish are. Also, the truss rod cover is missing.

I will more than likely return it on Ebay (I have 30 days) but in the meantime I figured maybe a Talkbass member would want it. If not, no biggie. I'm losing money either way. You can have it for what I paid: $905 shipped lower 48.

Trades involving basses and cash considered but I'll be picky. No 5+ string basses, no 1.5" nuts, nothing under 34" scale.

This will probably only be listed today.

cirrus4.jpg cirrus3.jpg cirrus2.jpg cirrus1.jpg cirrus6.jpg cirrus8.jpg cirrus10.jpg cirrus7.jpg cirrus5.jpg cirrus9.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    mb94952, Bigoo7e, Ray H. and 4 others like this.
  2. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Pictures where neck meets body... looks like it could be re-oiled.

20190509_173913.jpg 20190509_173920.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  3. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    That should be a poly finish on a maple/alder Cirrus, I think the walnut bodied ones with bubinga/walnut/wenge tops were the only ones that had an oil finish. Maybe just a thinner coat of poly.

TimBosby likes this.
  4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thanks @Basso Profoundo

Not sure honestly. The body finish is high gloss and gorgeous. The neck is either worn down satin or something else. It feels fine but it's a little too "bare" feeling for my tastes. I don't like glossy necks either. I like somewhere in between. *shrug*

5. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Yup, all the poly Cirrus's have that distinct line with the neck being a either a very light flat poly or satin or no finish at all, not sure.
    Here is one I used to own where the poly stops at the neck...same setup as yours with Maple/alder. The other one was a custom shop Cirrus with the same thing
    P1090145.JPG P1090482.JPG

TimBosby likes this.
  6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Well whatever the case, I prefer a more satin finish like the Peavey Millennium has, probably shouldn't have just sold mine, doh! Live and learn

The top on this Cirrus though, oh my God, gorgeous!

Basso Profoundo likes this.
  7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Cirrus neck finish is oil. Similar to what Music Man uses on their basses.

TimBosby likes this.
  8. Greg Novick

Greg Novick

Sep 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    Why am I having a flashback to Mel Bay bass book 1 ?

movinngruvin and TimBosby like this.
  9. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Lol. Looks like an Aria, but I can see why the memory popped up :)

melbay.jpg

10. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    Yep, Aria SB1000.

TimBosby likes this.
  11. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thank you for the interest and offers. I have her boxed up and ready to go back to the original seller for a refund. However, I will keep this listing open through today. If there are any offers (either cash or trade) I will hear them until this evening. If not, no big deal.

12. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

OMG DROOL !!! I love this bass, Tim ! If I didn't already own a redwood top with maple board, this would be mine.

For those Cirrus players who want a bass for R&B, soul, 70's music, this IS the bass. Does the Motown / Muscle Shoals thang perfectly. That maple board gives you that "sound".

- Mike B.

xhawk5 and TimBosby like this.
  13. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Traded.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  14. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    This is a beautiful baby found a home and will be my main four stringer. Thanks for making it available.

15. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Very cool. Enjoy!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021