USA Peavey Cirrus 5 owners: what kind of strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacoby75, May 1, 2012.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hi guys,

I'm pretty excited that my first Peavey Cirrus is going to be arriving via FedEx tomorrow! I have been a passive guy for a while now, but I wanted something different, and from what I've heard online, I will not be disappointed with the Cirrus V.

Any advice on what kind of strings to try? I like to be able to set it up with low action, and I prefer a stiffer string. It's a Walnut cirrus with rosewood fretboard. I'm a DR endorsing artist, and I'm sure they have some type that will sound great on this bass, but I thought I'd ask first to see if there were any opinions out there before I start buying random string sets.

I use Marcus Miller Fat Beams on my 5-string P-bass (with rosewood fretboard) and 5-string Jazz (with maple fretboard), which I love, but I'm thinking I'll want some warmer-sounding strings on the Cirrus. Do you guys use nickel or steel strings? Any experience with DR strings on them? Maybe Sunbeams or Nickel Low-Riders?

Thanks!

2. The ciruss players that I know play citrus strings. If I remember correctly seems to be quite a few cirrus players on fb also use the cirrus strings. I have yet to get my cirrus dream bass. Of course you could always experiment with strings to see what sounds best to you. Remember these are longer scale so regular strings won't fit.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I only use steel Lo-Riders on mine. I go for a bright sound though, need to cut through in my genres.

To the above dude- I've never had any problem with strings fitting these due to the 35" scale.

4. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Yeah, @bassguitarthund, I only play 35" scale basses these days (a Lull P5, a Lakland 55-60, and now the Cirrus), and at least all of the DR strings I've tried have been long enough. I can't speak for other brands (except I think I tried GHS when I first got th the Lull, and they weren't long enough). DR's all seem to be the same length, as evidenced by where the taper starts at the top by the tuning pegs, with the exception of the "long neck" strings, which are, of course, longer. The only issue I have is that they're not long enough to string through the body on 35" scale basses, but I don't really see that as being necessary, because they're already plenty tight action-wise from the bass being 35".

@Chaos: I'm thinking I might stick with stainless. I don't know. I currently play in a country band, but we play everything from old country to current stuff, to classic rock. In the end, I might not even use the Cirrus for it. I might stick with my passive jazz bass. But I thought I'd give it a shot. I might wind up only playing the Cirrus in church. We'll see.

5. Most companies are gearing their strings to be compatible with 35" scale basses. I use Cirrus strings on my fretless and SIT/Ernie Ball on my fretted Cirri.

6. VHS super steels or ken smith or cirrus

7. That may be what I was thinking then.

8. See above response

9. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    I say stick with the Marcus Miller's. Those are the strings I use with my Cirrus 6 and I'm very happy with them. I don't think you can go wrong with the Cirrus nickels though either...Of course, this is all subjective.

10. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    First off, you're going to love that bass. The walnut/rosewood combo on a Cirrus is wonderful. I had one, and quite honestly I wish I didn't let it go. It had it all, tone, playability, and looks. That oil finished neck is to die for. Anyway, I did try several different strings on mine. Although I'm not a fan in any way of loose tension strings, The DR Sunbeams sounded amazing on that wood combo. I overlooked the tension because they sounded so good. After a while, I actually grew to like them very much. Sad to say I haven't had the same results with any other bass though. Try a set, you may be pleasantly surprised. The Cirrus is still about the best bang for the buck out there. Used, it absolutely is IMO.

11. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I use D'Addario Pro Steels on mine, and they do a good job for me.

12. ajax1

ajax1 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I play flats on my Cirrus 5. I contacted BassStingsOnline and asked what strings fit the Cirrus 35" scale. Jason at BassStringsOnline provided the info below, and I have been very happy with GHS Long Plus Flats I bought from him. I use the GHS Tapewounds on my Cirrus 4.

BassStringsOnline string recommendations for Peavey Cirrus.

"You need strings with at least 38" winding lengths... Some companies have 37.25" winding length as their standard "Long" scale.

Are you a 4 or 5 string?

Flats:
    La Bella Extra Long are 38" winding Length 4 / 5 / 6 string available
    Sadowsky Extra Long are 38" winding Length 4 / 5 string available
    GHS Long Plus Flats are 38" winding length
    D'Addario Super Long are 38" winding length
    DR Legend Flats are 37.5" winding length
    Thomastik-Infeld are 40" winding length on Super Long (standard long is 37")
    Pyramid Flats are 37.5" winding length...

Tapewounds:
    GHS 38" winding Length 4 & 5 string
    Rotosound 37.5" 4 / 5 / 6 string standard long... extra long 4 string available too...
    La Bella need to order Extra Long for 38" winding Length (4 / 5 / 6)
    D'Addario I am not 100% sure of I think they are only 36.5" winding... "

13. If you're really a DR endorsing artist then why not just contact them directly?

Congrats on the new bass!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021