USA Spector Bolt-On vs USA Spector Neck-Though

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, Feb 15, 2005.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    What can anyone tell about the sound difference between these two models? Or anything about the USA Bolt-ons in general?
  2. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    My impression is that the Bolt-on has less of the "Spector Sound". Not the bright high end and signature growl of the traditional neck-throughs. That being said, it I think it may be a more versatile bass overall if you are looking for a variety of tones. Kind of like a juiced up Fender Jazz. It really depends on your likes and needs. If you want that classic Spector tone, you've got to buy the US or Euro neck-through models, but if they are too harsh or too singular in tone for you the US Bolt On may just fit the bill.
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I tried both the Spector US Bolt-On and Czech-made (Euro) Neck-through models prior to the Spector "Tone Pump" EQ. I hope you can play both. IMO the feel and sound were very different.

NS2JH U.S. Bolt-On:
    Swamp Ash body, maple neck w/a rosewood fingerboard. 2 EMG J-style pickups with an Aguilar OBP-1 EQ. It had lots of clarity and sounded very 'modern'. Overall the bass was lightweight, but there was also a slight bit of neck-dive. It's neck felt slightly wider at the nut compared to the Czech-made Spector. It's a high quality bass with a great sound and feel and IMO it's reasonably priced.

NS4CRFM Czech-made (Euro) Neck-through:
    Maple neck w/a rosewood fingerboard and maple body wings. EMG P/J pickups with an EMG BTS EQ. I prefered it's balance and the feel of it's neck, and it's tone: It had more bottom end and midrange growl. Outside of the first bass I bought in 1976, I hadn't had any experiences with an instrument made outside of the USA; It's fit and finish are impressive and it sounds awesome.

I endind up buying the neck-through, but both are fantastic basses, it just depends on the feel and sound you're looking for.

As you can see, each bass had different pickups and a different EQ system. If you can find a music store that has both models with the Tone Pump EQ, I think you can make a better comparison.

Also, Spector's Customer Service is second to none.

- Art
  4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Oh man, where to begin.......
  5. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Thanks for the responses. I'm hoping for some more feedback from you guys!

6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    I own and play several basses, one of them is an american made Spector NS-2J, obsiously bolt on.
    I have had and sold a Czech made neck thru and tried an american made neck thru.
    All of them were great sounding and great quality built basses. Mainly difference I found was handling the basses, since the bolt on is really light while the all maple neck thru were quite heavy.
    Basses were built not only with different neck configuration (bolt on & neck thru) but also with different woods, all maple with rosewood (or pau ferro) fingerboard for the neack thru, while the bolt on has a swamp ash body, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.

Sound is in the modern realm, while the bolt on can be maybe “less modern” than the neck thru.
    Also pickups and electronics were not exactly the same on the 3 basses I am speaking about, for sure they were all EMG which to me says the most. EMG quality is out of discussion and their pickup tone is someway recognisable as EMG sounding, so really clear with high volume and headroom, humfree and with inherent britghtness.

I would define my NS-2J as a deep, clear tone with fast, smooth neck.

I definetly prefer the bolt ons even if I know that real Spector project was intended as neck thru.
    Also with other brands and models I always tend to prefer bolt on basses opposite to neck thru, mainly for handling.

Said that I would love to find a Spector B.O.B. they were not lucky in the market and in a certain ways a Spector in Sadowsky style.
    They had Maple neck with 24 fret pau ferro figerboard. Alder body with highly figured quilted maple top. Black hardware. EMG DC (!!!) pickups with 9v EMG three band preamp.
  7. benthughes

benthughes Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I have the pleasure of owning both of these basses. Both are fantastic but very different. I'll try to upload some clips from garageband.

The neckthrough is classic Spector IMO. It's a buckeye top with maple core and walnut back. It has the classic bright, clear and zingy spector sound. It's very articulate and modern sounding. It has EMG DC's and an EMG ( I think) preamp. It's a bit deeper sounding and barkier than my all maple Euro. The all maple Euro is brighter and more percussive sounding with more snap and high mids, not as much bottom. It has EMG's with the EMG BQC preamp.

The Bolt on is a different beast. It's mahogany bodied with a maple top. It has EMG TW's ( Dual/Single) and an OBP-3 preamp. It's woodier sounding and not as clear and articulate sounding. It's got great lows and low mids, more woody sounding. IMO it has a more Victor Wooten Fodera sound. The highs are more subdued but overall it provides a better bottom for recording.

Here's a good example of the Spector Bolt on. The Dual coils are a bit thicker and deeper sounding but the overall tone is really there. The pick adds a bit of treble to the tone. It's overall nice and middy.