USA Spector Owners, please explain...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superdick2112, Apr 28, 2012.

1. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    ..What is the difference, sound-wise, between the NS2 and the NS4?
    I've lusted after a USA NS2 for some time now. I have a chance to get an NS4 with quilted maple wings at a great price, so I'm hoping some of you who have experience with both the NS2 and NS4 models can explain to me the sonic differences & pros/cons of each. Thanks!

2. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    Not a USA Spector owner, but I do (think) I know the answer. The Ns2 has the pj pickup configuration, and the NS 4 has soap bars. There may be other differences, but I think that's the key one.
    If I remember right, during the SSD era Spector had to refer to their four strings as NS 4s because Ns2 was still trademarked to kramer. I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I can clarify/correct me.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You're kind of right...I think.

NS-2 and NS-4 are identical basses. Same pickups and everything. The name difference is, like you said, during the SSD era Stuart could not use the NS-2 name, so he named them NS-4.

Here is my old NS-4. Should have never sold it. Serial #84. Would love to have it back!
    ssd9.jpg

4. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    The NS4 I'm considering has EMG soapbars. I have an idea how the NS2 P/J setup sounds (I have two Spector Euro LX basses), so my main question is; What is the sound difference between the P/J pickups vs. the soapbars?

5. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    not an owner but i think ns2 is 9v and ns4 is 18v.

6. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I think I see where the confusion is coming in...

Looks like we're all right!

Back when Stuart couldn't use the NS-2 name, he used the name NS-4. So, and SSD era NS-4 is the same as a Spector NS-2.

I guess when he got the name back, he kept the NS-4 name and gave it soapbars and 18v electronics. My NS-4 was 9v and had P/J pickups.

So..what is the OP asking about? An SSD NS-4, or a Spector NS-4?

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i could be wrong, but i seem to recall one of the spector guys saying that originally, the NS-2 designated it as NS = Ned Steinberger and 2 = two pickups. when the ssd era came around the 4 denoted the number of strings. after Stuart got the rights back to use the NS-2 name, the 4 in the NS-4 designated the amount of coils the bass had (two soapbars - 4 coils)

9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Makes sense to me! Especially since my NS-5 has neither 5 pickups nor 5 coils :)

10. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    lol. ask jps. he could tell you. find him in the spector forums :)

11. In terms of tone the Spectors with EMG DCs are fatter sounding while retaining great clarity while the P/J setup is more cutting. The Reverse P pickup adds punch, don't expect P bass fullness down low but it's still pretty fat, dial in the P pickup for more bite.

The P/J setup is more the traditional Spector tone. I kind only slightly prefer the P/J setup.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021