Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

USA Town?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Mar 13, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Most every major city in the USA has a China Town, Little Italy, a Greek area, etc. One of the things I look forward to most when I go to places like NYC is checking out the ethnic towns within the city. Up here in Seattle, we have a huge Asian presence, so our China Town is big. It includes many different Asian groups like Thia, Vietnamese, Laotian, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese and so on.

Anyway.....my question to those who live in countries other than the USA. Do you guys have USA Town or something like that where all of the people from the USA have opened up restaurants and stores? Which is also the place you will find many people from the USA?

-Mike

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well.. nope. But American pop culture can be popular: I've seen shops specializing in all American stuff, everything from Mickey Mouse posters to foods and drinks imported from the US: pop-tarts, special flavour colas, you name it. Of course they cost like 3-4 times what they cost in the Wal-Mart.

The most usual piece of America you see around is because of those people who dig old American vehicles, blasting rockabilly while cruising in their Lincoln ragtops wearing the Southern flag on their beltbuckles. And of course there are the biker who think riding anything other than a piece of Milwaukee Iron in the form of an H-D is for posers.

Now that I think about it, there are food and drink joints too. I saw a 50's diner style hamburger chain restauraunt while I was visiting Dublin, too. I think the name was Johnny Rocket's or something like that - complete with real grilled burgers, 50's-style outfits on the personnel and even bubblegum machines. Also there's one similar BBQ-bar place in London a walking distance from Soho at some park square, I think it's called Crossroads or something.

So yes, the American culture in it's cheeziest form can be seen in Europe, just like all those Chinese restaurants have the same plaster dragons hanging around.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Right on. We have those around here also. :D

-Mike

4. I think you could say that, in europe at least, these kind of 'settlements' do not exist. maybe there are some cities with embassies that sport "english" or "rich foreign" neighbourhoods(brussels comes to mind as a might be place for such a thing) but I don't think american culture differs that much from european to have them clustering together.

They DO have certain focus points in most major cities, like the American church in paris(which actually manages to look completely american)
    they host a lot of events for people to meet others from the states, but there's a lot of non-french non-american people there too(english and irish and such)

this situation may not hold at all for a city like tokyo, bombay, or buenos aires

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    We have U.S towns all over the place. It's lame. :rolleyes:

;)

6. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Never seen a "US Town" in my many travels. But I have seen places like American Hospitals (Madrid).

7. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    everytime i've been to india the only real "american places" i've seen have been chain resturants in the bigger cities like mumbai and new dehli...although these places do cater to the cultural eating habits it's as american as i've seen in the country

-jimbo

8. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    So do we.
    And DAMN do they make good burgers. Yum.
    -Alex

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    We call them Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Hobart and Darwin.

10. I talked to a kid once who went to an "American High school" when he was living with his father who was stationed in Germany for the military...but that might not be the same thing.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Lived in China. No "USA Town" but in Beijing you can eat at Schlotsky's, Outback, TGI Friday's, Pizza Hut, Kenny Roger's Roasters, etc, etc..then enjoy some Baskin Robbin's and whatnot.

bc

12. There's one in Union Station that I ate at often over the summer. Very decent stuff. :) Their shakes rock.

13. Sorry to break it to you mike but there is no such thing as American Cuisine. "American food" is all just northern European pseudo-food. Nothin original.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What part of Northern Europe did deep-fried Twinkies come from?

-Mike

15. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I think a lot of Southern Food is native.

USA towns, yeah they're called Military Bases.

In Baja Califonia Mexico, the town of Rosarito has a large english speaking American population. People go there to retire and some commute to San Diego.

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    How about BBQ, sandwiches, and I'm sure you're going to tell me that a Philly Cheesesteak is actually from one of the ancient cities of Philadelphia in the Greek/Mediterranean/Middle Eastern regions, right?

17. buffalo wings ( a staple of our society).

I'm sure there are some large american ex-pat communities around the world as well... maybe in places where there used to be a strong military presence, but not so much anymore, like Tokyo or maybe in Germany? I'm just guessin'.

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    And don't forget, pop/soda is pretty much served flat and lukewarm anywhere outside of the US.

19. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Now that is truly American. Brewed up during prohibition.

20. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

You can thank the US for the Hamburger and Frankfurter, which were unveiled at US world fairs and given exotic sounding names so's folks would buy 'em.