Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Usage

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Barnacle Joe, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Being as this applies to a lot of different non-bass related things I chose to make this post here. Drug/alcohol use can make for funny movies, jokes, etc, but from my little experience it's a real problem in the land of music making, I've yet to lose any friends to it but the possibility remains and is a real worry. What experience do you have with this and is it a problem where you live?

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I have no issues with occasional and responsible drug use. Of course, this can be difficult depending on the individual and addictive nature of some drugs.

I do have a major issue with use while playing music, particularly with alcohol. IMO anything past a drink or two negatively affects playing. I've left many situations that were sloppy because of alcohol. I think this problem exists everywhere.

I've found that you THINK you sound so much better while stoned, but playback when sober tells a different story.

I won't get into the hard drugs because regardless of their effect on playing, the negatives greatly outweigh the positives.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    AN incident such as baba described lead to great embarrassment once for all members of a band I was in after the singer got drunk. She had no idea how bad she sounded. It was awful. We were an established band that had played many gigs in the town we lived in at the time but this incident was kind of the "straw that broke the camel's back" as far as our breakup went.

brad cook

4. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i dig messing about with my bands whilst on mushrooms, but not during a gig :meh:

i have one cd (a electro compilation from a club i go to - Nag Nag Nag) that i only listen to whilst tripping, because i know it just won't sound as amazing when i'm in a normal state of mind :D

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've had this discussion before and here is my belief: The only person that will play better on a drug of any type is an addict. If a person is addicted to a drug, they will perform better in a lot of ways whilst high on their drug of choice. It's the old thing of an addict eventually takes their drug just to feel normal. However, with that said, I'll add that even an addict will play worse if they over indulge in their drug of choice. Beyond that, I believe that a person who is not an addict, but uses a drug and attempts to play will always play worse than if they were strait (but they might think they sound better) They only exception I see is very small amounts of alcohol. Many people can play fine on just one or maybe two drinks and might even feel a little "looser" but it goes down hill quickly with each drink after that. The best bet is to always play strait.

6. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    yeah, i don't enjoy playing whilst tripping because i think i actually play better, i do it because i get a kick out of being transfixed when my guitarist lets his open E ring for minutes at a time.

i dunno, i'd never play gigs while high, but it's really fun to mess around whilst tripping. everything sounds so amazingly weird and different :D

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I hear what you're saying. I once watched a young bassist jamming while both he and everyone else there was on heavy doses of psilocybin. I recall that he was normally a pick player who while tripping began playing finger style - oh, and playing his bass guitar as an electric upright. (seated in a chair, bass body sitting on his feet) Everyone was convinced that it was his best playing ever. Then he unplugged and played the live cable for a while, using his thumb in various ways to entice various sounds through the amplifier. Again, everyone in the room was convinced that this was his best playing ever.
    ;)

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Absolutely. I used to love playing (without an audience) under the influence of LSD, ayahuasca, and psilocybin cubensis. Sound reaches far beyond normal perception and much fun can be had. I found maintaining structure and arrangement VERY difficult.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I've played with a number of really great musicians who were still really great after a drink or two.

I've also played with a number of just passable musicians who become really awful after just a drink or two.

10. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I used to be in a band with a friend of mine but then he just started doing way to many drugs. He wasn't that bad when it was just pot, but when he started moving onto other things all his playing just went to crap. Now he's messed up on heroin.

11. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    totally! :D

sound is distorted and re-arranged in a way that noone can really explain. a fantastic magical way ;)

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Would this be a bad time to remind the listening audience that the effects of LSD are cumulative and permanent? Every time you trip, you are slightly altered for life. Do enough (or maybe just do a little and have bad luck) and you can look forward to serious problems with depression and paranoia. But I suppose the few hours of pretty dancing colors, moving objects with stretchy tails, and inexplicable shimmering and wiggling of normally stationary objects makes up for the brain damage that will effect you for the rest of your life? :meh:

My God, I'm becoming so conservative in my old age...

13. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    indeedy they are, luckily i was only talking about psycobilin cubensis (mushrooms) :p

i dunno...a relative of mine used to take LSD in his wild californian youth and now he is vice pres of a major drugs research company (yes i know, haha), despite his "brain damage"

14. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    IMO, poeples lives must pretty lame if they rely on drugs for fun.

15. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    my life is very um-lame, i see drugs as a diversion from my very entertaining sober life. an added extra if you will :p

16. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I don't mean to come of as ignorant here, but if your life is already entertaining, why would you need a diversion from it?

17. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    it's a different kind of entertainment in my opinion.
    i -personally- enjoy sometimes taking drugs. i could do without them just fine, but i enjoy occassional usage.

like, you watch tv right? (i'm assuming here, excuse me). do you think your life is entertaining without tv? if so, why do you watch tv?

crappy example i know, but the best i can think of right now.

18. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Makes sense to me. But I'm still not a fan of drugs, they just aren't for me.

19. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    fair enough :)
    each to their own!

i would never argue that drugs are infact good, i was just saying i sometimes enjoy them!

20. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Drugs are good.

At least if used in a responsible way.