1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

USB Sound Blaster w/ Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by fdeck, May 17, 2011.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The internal audio hardware on my notebook computer is toast. Damaged by an electrical overload.

I bought a Sound Blaster X-Fi USB interface. I'm running Linux. I can get sound out of my speakers, but it doesn't seem to pick up any audio input signal.

Am I hosed? Back to Windows?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  3. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Thanks. I will check that out.

Windows 7 is indeed good. I'm in between a rock and a hard place with Windows. It started with XP. I installed 7 to help a friend with a migration issue (related to a bug in some software that I wrote). But 7 is too slow on my creaky old Dell notebook. So I decided to go with ubuntu. Then I did the Stupid Thing and blew out my internal sound hardware. I actually smelled smoke coming from my computer, and it's a miracle that nothing else got killed.

4. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The Sound Blaster went back to NewEgg. It appears to require special drivers, even for a Windows computer, and states that it won't run on a Mac. I should have read the reviews more carefully.

So I ordered a couple of cheap USB audio modules

This is for crude audio analysis -- getting my RTA software working under Linux. The good news is that while waiting for the new gear to arrive from NewEgg, I discovered that Ubuntu recognizes the built-in mic of my webcam, so I am using my webcam to see if I can make my RTA software work under Linux. Things are looking good. I have a 100-line program written in Python which displays an FFT of the audio input.

Of course this begs the question: Why?

I have to admit that I switched to Ubuntu out of pure curiosity, as I had gotten bored with Windows. This is nothing but a geek adventure. But if I make any useful progress, I will share my results. There is an audio analyzer called JAAA for Linux, but it appears to be undocumented and unsupported. I need software that I can modify myself, for some of the analyses that I am interested in.

5. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Bump for success. I ordered a couple items from NewEgg:

1. StarTech USB audio port, part # 29-128-004. Works with monaural mic input, but the signal-to-noise appears to be poor.

2. GWC USB audio port, part # 29-126-101. Works with stereo mic input, but not with stereo line input. However it appears to accept line level input signal. Audio quality appears to be good.

I'm actually not trying to do recording, but merely audio analysis. At this point it appears like I can use either of these devices, but preferably the GWC one, to carry out audio analysis under Linux.

For recording, I'm delighted with my little Tascam DR-03.

6. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Very interesting thread. Was wondering what happened with this.

Always fun to see another Linux user as well. :bassist:

7. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Most Edirol/Roland generic USB soundcards seem to work on Ubuntu linux.
    I have an Edirol UA20 which the audio and midi work fine.