Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Use a 2x10 cab for PA ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by banditcosmo, Mar 4, 2003.

1. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I have an Avatar 2x10 cab I'd like to use one night for a PA speaker. Would this hurt my cab ? We will be using it at a low volume. Just vocals and acoustic guitars and maybe a Djembe drum.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If it has a non-attenuable horn, you could possibly damage it; otherwise, it will be fine.

It won't hurt it.

chas

3. Will it hurt it at low volumes?

I'd say no, unless the Djembe's low-end gain is hot.... When you do a bass slap on a Djembe (a snap in the center of the head that maximizes the BOOOOoooommmm they're known for). Just do a good sound check with it before the show, have the Djembe player do a bass slap to make sure you aren't topping out the cab.

How will it sound (the 210 bass cab)... well, most cabinets designed for bass guitar have an inherent scooped mid-range. Not a bad thing, but it may not compliment other instruments as well as a PA speaker will.

Also - the hi-freq horn isn't designed to throw as far as a PA compression driver.

Just do a thorough soundcheck - it's all good.

b

4. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Banditcosmo,

I use my Avatar 210 as a PA speaker at rehearsals. Works fine.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've used my Acmes as monitors, and since they are full range they sounded very good! I even let a buddy borrow them for a small P.A.and he had no complaints.

6. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I have an Acme cab but I'd much rather use that for my bass than the PA. I'll try the Avatar at a low volume.
    Thanks for the replies.