Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stingray56funk, Feb 20, 2005.

1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    I am currently playing a GK 800RB into my Mesa 6x10, but I am interested in trying out an extremely flat and non-colored sound using my Countryman 85 DI into my spare power amp and then into my Mesa. My Countryman 85 DI has a 1/4" out that says "AMP" but can I send that signal into a poweramp and if I could what type cable would I use? Thanks for the help! :confused:
  2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No. The amp out from the DI is the unchanged signal from your bass. It is ment to go into a preamp or head, not a power amp.

You need a very transparent preamp for what you want. Transparent being a code word for $$$$ ;)
  3. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The Countryman is an active DI so it should be able to give you a signal boost. Probably not enough to properly feed a poeramp but you could try running the XLR out into the poweramp. You could try it and it shouldn't hurt anything but you might not be happy with the results. Spend $500 and get the Avalon U5 DI/Preamp or some serious $$$$ and get a high end avalon or mellinia.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH

Nope. No signal boost with the Countryman. It is active with regard to impedance to limit loading on passive pickups, there is no boost.
  5. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Thanks so much guys for the help! I was just going to try it for the heck of it. I've used an Avalon U5 before in my Crest Audio CA4 and what a sound! It was by far the hottest signal that I have ever gotten! Anyways, thanks a lot for the help!