Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Use a high hat!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Mar 14, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Anyone else work on there timing with a high hat? I set down and start the high hat with my foot and then start to practice!

everyone thinks iam a strange puppy for doing this but ive done it for 16 years now and has really helped! If anyone is having hard time with timing then go buy a drap high hat!

2. hmm, I should do that.. sure beats the beeping from my metronome, lol.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's a great idea - i like that, works on actually feeling the beat.

4. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    See damn it iam not a freak!

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Personally, I think the high hat idea sounds pretty effective. If you have a spare high hat unit sitting around, put it to use. And, yes, the sound is a darned sight better than a metronome and easier to hear.

JO

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think the audible enhancement of tapping one's foot will help to keep one honest.

ideally, the best thing would be to do something like this with a metronome while practicing and then record it. that would prove enlightening, i think, in showing how one reacts to different passages - where one tends to speed up or slow down.

it would also prove invaluable in one's quest to be a solo (street-corner) performer :D

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I was gonna say, "My foot keeps speeding up".
    (Ed beat me to it, though).

Occasionally, I'll practice sticking patterns(on bongos)with a drum machine in the background.

8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I use it more to wright fills! To try to get it all in to sound right! No actually i have damned good timing with my foot for some reason! Probably should have been a damned drummer!

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have been advised by teachers to tap my foot - especially when playing solos or lines that go across the bar or avoid the obvious beat. But you can do this without having a hi-hat! I also think that the ideal is to "internalise" the time, as has been said, so you can concentrate 100% on playing the best line.

I can't see any advantage to doing this over tapping or practicing with a drum machine if you don't like the sound of the metronome. When I'm practising soloing I will quite often programme just a hi-hat beat and piano chords and I find this useful - but to me the idea is getting to the point where I can play ideas on any beat in the bar - I think that being stuck with keeping the hi-hat going would hinder this.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Eric-
    ...another question: Are you playing/counting 1/4 notes on the hi-hat?
    Whaddabout the idea of counting in 1/2 time vs. "straight time"? The playing fast while counting slow notion?
    Instead of patting your foot on every BEAT(1-2-3-4), you pat it on every other BEAT-(1___2___/3___4___/).
    It also works for odd times, too.
    In 7, it's /1...2...3....&./
    In 5, it's /1...2...&./

Makes/forces one to consider multiple timelines(like a decent drummer thinks) ;)

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Jim yes i have to do that! But its more not on purpose! We are a very technical funk jazz band so the drummer usually has his part in there when i go in to do fills! So my foot somehow remembers the timing better than i do! He He kinda freaky you ever seen idle hands? HEHE

12. actually i turn on the sink and let it drip onto an upside down bucket

i guess it could buy a metronome but im poor