Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI on a good setup?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, May 29, 2004.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    I read a lot of reviews on this unit and all of them rave on how it makes ordinary setups sound really good, but what about a already nice setup? I have a 1001-rb 2, 810 and a stingray. It sounds good but i would love to have more of a SVT tubish sound, is this unit what ive been looking for?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    While I will not say that it improves a superb set-up, I will say that it adds a lot of tonal options to any set up. Go for it. I think this is what you are looking for.

3. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I picked one up yesterday. It was rainning on my walk home and I'd just been paid. I'm going to have to find a new route to get home - gas is killing me.

It's hard to describe what it does- it's relatively subtle- it just makes your bass sound fatter, creamier and gives you a bit more growl. I was cynical of what it could do for me initially but once I plugged it in I didn't have too many doubts.

4. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    I ve been using it for 2 years.you can get very warm sounds out of it.For me,the trick is in the blend knob,I have an active fender jazz and it works great when the blend is around 12 oclock.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've found it most useful for home recording, and playing live with passive basses where I want to add some bass etc.

I've found the blend knob muddy's the sound if you take it past 40-50%

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I like dirtgroove's description...creamy is right on.

the other night at practice I noticed that something didn't sound right---then I looked down and realized I didn't have the SBDDI turned on. I will just say that it was noticeable to me---maybe not to the other guys in the band but they're too busy making "noise" to notice. :D

7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I use a decent rig (SWR SM-500 w/ SWR GoliathIII), and I use my BDDI as a stompbox to switch between my clean sound and a really heavy thick overdrive. It really comes in handy for the few really heavy parts my band plays.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use it on my WM-12, but not on my Eden stuff. It's definitely a cool tool.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I use it on my Mesa rig. It's on my pedalboard, but only as a mid-OD pedal. I use the Direct Out on my amp as a DI until I get a mic, which is where the GOOD tone really is. Pretty expensive for just another stomp box, but if I had to just take it off the board and go do a few songs with it, I'd have no problems with it's sound. Great and invaluable tool, even if you don't use it all that often. I use it as a boost of sorts too, even though my amp has that function, as this puts my mid OD growl to the song, making it that much better. I love the dang thing. Worth every penny.

10. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    It's useful on the mesa rig I usually rent out use. However last night I ended up with an SVT2 from the gig room/bar :hyper: (as someone decimated the mesa's 15" cab last week :bag: )
    The sansamp became redundant quite quickly.

11. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    I played through the stomp box version and messed with that fot a good hour or so. I loved it. Gives you so many options on the clean area. I like a simple setup so I was debating getting the RBI rack version. Is it basically the same thing?

also, can the rbi be used as a preamp to a normal bass amp that already has a preamp? just for better shaping controls.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One persson's "perfume" can be another person's "poison", so I don't know what you really consider a "good setup"...........but my bread n' butter rig is, basically, an Aguilar preamp + QSC PLX power amp + a stack of Eden cabs.

Still, I always run through my SansAmp, anytime, anywhere. The cahones that unit adds to my sound are too big to ignore.

When I first used it out of the box, I thought, "WHAH?!?! This box doesn't change my sound :confused: " That I tried the amp I was using at the time without it and it sounded like Minnie Mouse with anemia in comparison to the sound I got using the SansAmp.

Best sonic investment under $200 I ever made.

13. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have one too, and it's invaluable to me. I have a few "presets" I use, but I generally use it with the blend at 50% and the other controls to taste (mostly around 12 o'clock) to give a subtle creaminess to the sound when I'm recording direct. I also use it for guitar to warm up clean parts when necessary, and it has enough overdrive for my needs as well. It seems to have enough output to drive the power amp in my Hartke 3500 head (going in through the effects return jack and bypassing the Hartke pre.)