1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Use a Traynor YVM-4 PA amp for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hublocker, Mar 11, 2008.

1. hublocker

hublocker

May 17, 2007
    A singer at a jam session I was at on the weekend says she's got a Traynor YVM-4 amp in the basement I can have if I want.

Could I use that for playing bass through?

It has a "huge" speaker cabinet that goes with it she says, but I have a Fender 2 x12 that might work too.

Anyway, I just started playing with with these three guys in an alt.country type (Mavericks, Wilco, Blue Rodeo etc.) band and they're dissatisfied with the volume out of my Roland Cube 60. they want a raunchier punchier sound but I'm not in the mood to drag my Ampeg V4B across the city and two municipalities away for rehearsals every two weeks so a third amp set up at the practice space might be the ticket.

The Ampeg needs work anyway.

What do you think?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    They're giving it to you. Try it out. What have you got to lose?

If it's the mixer amp I'm thinking of, it's about 100 watts at best. Solid state. A lot of groups used them for small PA setups. Not very good for bass. A lot will depend on the speaker cabinet you use. It could be better (but a lot bigger and heavier) than your Roland. Not much better though. For rehearsals it'll be okay maybe.

3. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Traynor's never die! It'll work fine for a practice amp, you bet.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I'd give it a try, it might just come in handy as a small PA for ya sometime too.
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4DMUS_enUS221US222&q=Traynor+YVM-4

Traynor YVM-4
    Features
    Four 1/4" high Z inputs, volume, bass, treble & reverb controls per-channel plus masters for level, reverb and (reverb) tone and effects send & return jacks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Approximate Serial Number
    203#### to 705####

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Years Made
    1972 - 1977
    Cabinet Type
    4-channel s/s mixer/amp

Power
    70 Watts Sine-wave @ 4 Ohms

Comments
    Our first 4-channel mixer/amp with EQ & reverb controls on the channels.

5. ewoynorowski

ewoynorowski

Jul 27, 2014
    I just got a traynor yvm-4 and when i try hooking it up to some speakers, it doesn't amplify at all. i can just barely hear my music through the speaker... does it require a powered speaker cabinet or something?

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    no, i'm afraid it means either the head or your speaker cab is busted. if it's the head, an old 70watt PA head isn't worth fixing.

7. ewoynorowski

ewoynorowski

Jul 27, 2014
    alright, thanks for letting me know

8. If your speaker cabinet uses 1/4" phone jacks you can do a quick go/no go test with a 9√ battery. Plug a speaker cable into the cabinet and apply the battery across the tip and sleeve of the other end. You should hear a hearty thunk from the cabinet. No thunk - your cabinet is toast.