1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Use and re-use. Anything New?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Neb Maro, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    So, tried to make this a poll, but apparently I don't have the know-how.

Anyway, do you think there are still original thoughts and ideas in this world?

I have noticed that movies get remade and sequaled. Songs get covered and re-covered. Books tend to fall into trends and many ideas are copied. History even seems to repeat itself.

So, with all of this. Is there anything new? Can people still come up with unique thoughts, ideas, words, innovations?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Yes, new ideas and great projects everyday in all sciences and arts.
    You won't find them on MTV or in Hollywood though.

3. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Now, are the ideas in science and art completely new, or new takes on old discoveries or ideas?

4. I think it greatly depends where you draw the border. Are not many of the 'new inventions' and such drawn off of other things. It is something that must be done. Granted, there are things that are totally new and revolutionary, but at the same time, ideas are always built off of other ideas. There is a definite line between creativity and reproductivity though.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Rarely do you ever create something totally new. Usually it's building upon what others have done. It's much easier to add a brick to an existing wall than to make a totally new one.

That's why scientists and engineers usually work in teams. They help each other and build off of other people's research and ideas. Don't know much about the arts, though. But rarely do you have something artistic that is completely original, it usually builds off of the past, too.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It takes a cultural revolution once in a while, where all the crap that has stuck on the mainstream is blown away and whole new doors are opened. It's not the music and entertainment (art) itself that will be made from a new perspective, but the whole culture.

With internet as a medium, I assume that it's gonna be small, indie-style stuff that's gonna be the next relatively big thing. The big record companies existing now will sink deeper, producing only children-teenager priented bulk albums, AOR and other 'easy listening' that fills the TV ads every christmastime. No wonder the RIAA is trying to choke down the internet; it's a desperate act as the business as they know of is dying. Coming to a world near you, in the year 2000.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Even Shakespeare "stole" his ideas.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Some people actually get offended when you point that out. It's weird how high of a pedestal people put him on.