Use bassPOD for studio recordings??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rich37, May 12, 2003.

1. Hi everybody,

The sound engineer of the studio where I'm recording a full length with my band recommends
    that I should use a bass Pod instead of my EBS head.
    He claims that a bass POD sounds twice a good than my EBS head when it comes to recording bass-stuff.

Now... is this guy right, or is this just a matter of personal taste???

who has experience with a bass Pod when used in a recording studio??

I just can't believe that a bass Pod can replace and sounds even better than my EBS TD650!?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    POD will definitely be more versatile. Whether or not its better than the line out of the EBS is a matter of personal taste, IMO.
  3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Each time I use my Bass Pod for recording, I am pleased with the result.

EBS gear is excellent, though, and, as said above, it's essentially a matter of personal taste.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I would ask him what constitutes "twice as good." Maybe he is just more into the sound of one of the amps that the POD simulates or something. You probably can't go wrong with either choice.

brad cook
  5. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    From what I experienced, for what is worth, and, of course, regarding to my own tastes, here's my opinion on the Bass Pod :

The SVT emulation requires serious tweaking to be credible (I prefer the one in the J-Station),

The GK emulation has no balls at all,

The SWR, Mesa Boogie and Eden emulations are fine (they are those I use the most),

The Portaflex emulation is really great.

The Bass Pod is a very versatile machine but, as for most of gear, you need working on the controls to take full profit of it.
  6. How do you tweak the SVT (rock classic) sound? I can't get it right no matter what I do.
  7. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    In my experience recording with PODs (guitar and bass), I have found that the settings need tweaking to be used by themself. I can hear a POD guitar track a million miles away (it screams local release- as opposed to a pro recording). However, I have had some really good results with mixing a mic'd amp and a POD. A lot of engineers will try to sell you on recording with a DI for more "control". These are the same guys who spend 12 hours getting the snare to sound right and 5 minutes making sure the bass signal is hitting the tape or hard disc. I've always had the best luck micing up a tube amp at relatively low volumes and mixing that with a direct signal (either straight or through a POD). A lot of recording guys base their concept of sound on whatever is easy and reliable.
  8. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Maybe this sound engineer isn´t aware that the TD650 has a speakersimulator available on the line out. I would try both POD and EBS and choose the one that sounds best.
  9. That pretty much sums it up as to my experience with studio guys. The best recordings I've gotten with my bass (and I have a pod) have involved mixing mic with DI and then dumping the whole thing into the computer and editing it with Cool Edit. I know there are much better programs available, (it was sort of free) but, my point is that with all the really good compression and effects that are becoming available with computer editing, front end processing may become a thing of the past.
  10. More than likely he's enamored of the POD and its ease of use and could give two $hits about YOUR sound. Take your amp, remind him that you are the one paying for the time and that you want to hear what you sound like for real, not what he thinks you should sound like.

I'm not dissing the POD, but any "engineer" who will suggest the same solution for every situation is not competent. You already have a high quality DI on the EBS and the ability to drive a speaker to monitor yourself without having to relay on headphones or an unfamiliar sounding pair of studio monitors. Don't automatically rule the POD out if you've never tried one; you might like it better, but take your amp.

BTW, the closest SVT sound I can get out of one is by using the "tube preamp" setting and goosing the drive control. It's a LOT closer than the preset. I don't like the Portaflex either. It's spongy in the wrong places and sounds artificial.
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It isn't about right or wrong, it's just about whatever works and sounds better in the context within which you're working. Yes, you can get good recorded sounds with a POD, and yes, you can get good sounds out of a head. Without actually trying out the alternatives, nothing says the POD can't work, and nothing says your EBS line out can't work.

Ideally, you could try both. If the engineer is so hot on the POD, let him bring one in and set it up. Then bring in your rig and set that up too. A/B the alternatives, and then you and the band decide what sound you want. You're paying for it, after all. Listen to what the engineer has to say, because if you're hiring him, he ought to be good enough to have some opinions worth listening to and some good reasons to back them up. If he's not that good, you shouldn't be working with him, and if he is, his opinions shouldn't be blown off without due consideration. But don't let him make the decision.

One possibility that occurs to me is that the engineer may be worried about sound bleeding into other tracks. How big is the live room where you're going to set up? If the room is small, a bass rig at gig-type volumes tends to spread out into everybody else's microphones.
  12. It's a small room where I'm going to record.

But I'll A/B the EBS and the POD and then decide what sounds best.
    It's better to put some extra time in the whole thing, than that I'm not satisfied in the end.

I will be leaving today so I'm not able to reply anymore, and stay there for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the advice.
  13. I'll let you know wich one sounded best.
  14. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I don't remember exactly. What I know is that it's very hard to get a "genuine" SVT tone. As far as I remember, I had to tweak with the input level to get a few drive, and I boosted on lows and mids. But it all depends on what bass you use and what tone you want, too.

Most generally, I don't use the Rock Classic emulation on the Bass Pod.
  15. The easiest way to tweak your settings is using the Sound Diver software that comes with it, presuming that you have pre-requisite MIDI ports on your PC. For me it's much easier than trying to input or try a variety of settings quickly using the front panel.