Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Use effects loop as true bypass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by carl-anton, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Ok, did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.
    So: What does the effect loop on my SWR 750 do? If I place my pedals (Boss dist, and a Crybaby) in the loop, will they be completely bypassed if I don't use them? Has this something to do with with the effects blend (Dry= no part of the signal, effects turned on or not, passes through the pedals. Wet= The whole signal passes through the pedals, whether on or not)?

What I'm after is a way to bypass my effects when I don't use them (I'll find out if I like their tone through the effects loop later). Is this what the loop is for?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I dont think that it will true bypass your effects signal but...

TB is one cure for tone suckage. Another one is to use a low impedance buffer. Your effects loop may do this. Another advantage of an amp loop is that the any time based effects are after any preamp distortion.

I use a True bypass loop box I bought in UK

3. well....yes..if you can turn the loop on and off(via footswitch or front panel),BUT,the loop is really only good for rack fx because of the level it sends and returns at(+4db-line level)and footpedal fx run at instrument level(-10db)..theres another thread kinda like this(effects & effects loops)that I started because I want to do the same thing(I want to use the fx blend controll on my amp also) I received a few responses...mostly suggestions on alternate options ,but I would still like to know if my idea is workable..sorry I was no help to you....