1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Use head on combo amp on a cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkymunky0202, Apr 22, 2009.

1. funkymunky0202

funkymunky0202

Apr 22, 2009
    I need to connect my warwick combo amp (Just the head or controls) To my fender 4x10 :confused:

I dont need sound out of my warwick but i want to use the tone controls

thanks

2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, not sure what Warwick combo you have, but a quick look at the Warwick site shows the back/front panel pics of their gear and, at least on the Take 12.1 combo, they have a 4ohm speaker output jack.

In the combo config, the combo cab is plugged in there, but you would have no problems plugging the Fender 4x10 in that speaker output jack.

Just keep in mind that if the Fender 4x10 is not 4ohms, but lets say 8ohms, which the Ohm rating for the Fender Bassman Pro 4x10, you will not get the full power output of the amp that way. Check the back panel of the cab to see its Ohm rating.

Going the other direction, if the cab you want to use is 2ohms (which very few, if any, are), you will get more than the rated power .. and also may cause your amp to overheat a bit.

3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    just though about this again for a second.

Another way to go would be to unplug the combo cab, use a speaker cable (make sure you use speaker cables, not instrument cables) to plug into the 8ohm Fender 4x10, then run another speaker cable from the second jack on the Fender cab (these jacks are in parallel .. as in in/out), back into the Warwick combo cab.

so:

amp speaker out -->4x10 in-->4x10 out-->male to female 1/4 adapter-->combo cab male 1/4 jack in

As the Combo can has a male 1/4 inch plug, you would have to do a run to Radioshack or something like that, to get a male to female mono 1/4 inch adapter, but this method would give you both cabs and a 2.67ohm total load on the amp, which is usually fine for most SS power amps like the Warwick has.

good luck

4. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    Hey funkymunky0202 - You should PM another TB member with a very similar name and a very similar issue -funkymunky375 is looking to hook a Warwick combo amp up to an Accoustic head+cab... it's the thread right below this... check with him.

5. funkymunky0202

funkymunky0202

Apr 22, 2009
    IS there anyway i can get step by step instructions on how to use the "head on my combo amp" to my cab

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I suspect they are one in the same, and no, you cannot use that bedroom practice amp to push a speaker cab, of any size. It is what it is.

7. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    As in the other thread - you can use a "pre amp out" or an "effects loop out" possibly even the "line out" from the small combo, into the "effects return" or other line in on an appropriate head that will power the cab.

If you mean how can you use the amplifier from the small combo to power a bigger speaker cabinet (without another head) - Well, You can't. Even if you could, no good would come from it (it wouldn't be any louder or sound any better than the combo alone)

8. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    ;)So do I.

So, do you think he really has an Accoustic 1x15 cab or a Fender 4x10? Maybe he should sell one of these cabs and buy a head.

9. funkymunky0202

funkymunky0202

Apr 22, 2009
  10. funkymunky0202

funkymunky0202

Apr 22, 2009
    please help??????????

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi funkymunky0202.

Please state the exact makes & models of the amps & bass(es) which you are using, the music style(s) that you play, whether or not you play in a band (if so, what is your group's instrumentation?), and your budget so that the folks here can offer you help which is practical to your needs.

Filling out your TalkBass profile would be good too.

As well, downloading and studying the user's manuals for your gear is a VERY useful first step in gaining an understanding of how your kit works, and how you can make it work better for you.

Helping yourself will help others to help you. :)