Use my "Guitar POD 2.0" or get a Pandora?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JFT, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Hi all,

I'm a guitarist that recently switched to bass. I already own a POD 2.0 (guitar) and I'm wondering whether it is "usable" with a bass of if I should get a PX-4B.

So far I thought I had found a good Pod preset to use with my bass but after plugging in a real bass amp I realized my tone is butchered by my pod :mad:

Anybody got a good guitar POD preset to use with a bass? Or should I simply bite the bullet and get the pandora? (Other suggestions?)

Will the the Pandora top any settings I could find on my (guitar) pod?

I'm mostly doing home studio stuff so the lack of footswitch is not critical.

I already have a synth that double up as drum machine so I don't really need that Pandora functionality.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm not "anti-effects" by any means. But the Korg Pandora has definitely improved my playing and that's more important to me.

It allows me to practice much more often and to break down recordings, (sample them amd manipulate the playback of the samples).

It's a tough call because we're comparing "apples to oranges" - two gizmos that have different primary functions.
  3. Hi Rick,

I'm always practicing beside my synth which is beside my computer so I'm always roughly a click away of recording myself.

I know that the POD is an amp simulator whereas the Pandora is practice amp/effects marvel with tons of gizmo.

What I'm really wondering is the preamp of both? Honestly I don't have the cash to shell for a bass pod right now I'd really like to find some usable setting for my guitar Pod but right now the sounds SUCK big time so I'm ready to spend "some" money and the price of the Pandora is right.

Sure the size and functions of the Pandora are cool but I don't really need them. I'm merely looking at a good preamp for DI and practice and the price difference here between a SansAmp Bass Driver and a Pandora make the SansAmp unappealing (that is unless you tell me it kicks the Pandora butt tonewise!).

Thanks for any info!
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's throws a whole different light on it to me, JFT. I don't even consider the Pandora as a preamp. I won't even use it without headphones.

I won't play live without my Sansamp. It's as close to tube heaven, tonewise, as I can get (and my amp heads have a 12AX7 in their preamps!).

The Pandora is solely a personal practice tool for me. The Sansamp is my crowd pleaser.
  5. Just to be more precise.

I'm mainly playing through headphones. So whatever preamp I'm using goes into my mixing desk which which route it to my computer, keyboard amp and my headphones.

I play a BTB-400 if it matters...

I assume you are referring to the SansAmp Bass Driver DI? (The PS1 is out of my budget :( )

You're incredibly quick to reply 8)

Thanks again

P.S. Anybody else has suggestion for the guitar pod preset?
  6. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    The only guitar pod preset I would use for bass is tube preamp with everything set flat, and no reverb or drive. I actually use that (along with my WT-800) when I record in my home setup. Granted the pod is not mixed as loud as my amp, but I use to add to the sound, and to have a dry signal if I ever use an effect while recording. It's worked all right, but I'd rather have a bass pod pro for recording reasons.