Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Use of chords in trio formats

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bass555, Apr 19, 2005.

1. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    I've recently liked adding a major/or minor 3rd/10th above the tonic in some of my parts...the gtr player seems to like it

Let's have some thoughts on the subject or perhaps some examples of the greats applying the chordal technique

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Michael Dimin, Michael Dimin, Michael Dimin, Michael Dimin, Michael Dimin, Michael Dimin, Michael Dimin, Michael Dimin, Michael Dimin, Michael Dimin, Michael Dimin, Michael Dimin...

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    OmGz y iz 1 name blu omg mikel dimin!11111

(Michael Dimin is the man to go to! Cool guy)

4. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
  5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  6. Nemesis

Nemesis

Apr 24, 2005
    I`m playing in a standard jazz trio (key/bass/drums).

So, playing chords seems not to be necessary, but when I jammed around with my pianist I started to tap chords with a bass note in the lower register and it ended up pretty cool (I don`t use this technique until now, but maybe I`m going to).

When my pianist picks up his guitar, I love to play chords. Normally, we jam in a certain key and mode. When I start to play chords I can really form the music, that`s cool.

That`s my way of dealing with chords.

7. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Have you guys heard Jaco play "blackbird"? I think its on his second solo album. Its phenomenal and he uses that technique to great effect. I always catch myself going overboard with bass chords though, they can really suck a lot of the umph out of your lines.

8. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I saw Dave Carpenter playing with Peter Erskine at the NAMM show, Dave's playing was extremely chordal, making up for the lack of a keyboard player. He's a killer player and his approach to the songs was unbelievable. The bottom never dropped out and he was outlining the chord structure perfectly. Really cool to watch.

9. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Yeah I've seen George Porter Jr. play whole songs with all bass chords. It can be a really great effect. I was just talking about how its easy for me to get too caught up in the technique and the dynamic of my line suffering as a result.