use of hair ties?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by alistair, Jul 2, 2001.

1. alistair

alistair Guest

Aug 29, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia
    Does anybody else keep a fluffy hair tie around the neck of their bass down towards the nut? I do, and slide it up as sort of mute that comes in handy when slapping open strings alot and when slapping lots of open strings then hammering on (for example in the intro of classical thump by victor wooten). Just wondering who else does.
  2. I use a hair tie to keep my dreds out of my face and to stop them interfering with my fingers when I play (Ihave really long dreds)
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Tyrone Wheeler - who is a big fan of Vic's - uses one on both his electric and acoustic basses to minimize the ringing. I'm assuming it must work pretty well, since Ty sounds great every time I hear him - and never leaves ringing open string noise hanging in the air.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Interesting. I use one of those clear makeup bags to keep my tools in, and I use the hair ties with the little plastic balls on them to tie up cables. If I make another trip to the drugstore to hang out in girls' accessories, I am going to get labled a Chester.
  5. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    im gonna try this technique of yours
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Before everybody goes running out to buy the wrong kind of hair ties, I'd like to issue an official heads-up: My wife informs me that the actual name of the specific type of hair tie to which everyone is referring is something which I can only assume is spelled, "SCRUNCHY".

So, run along and pick up your SCRUNCHIES, everyone....
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The one's with the little balls on 'em are great for chords, BTW. My wife corroborates your wife's naming of the Scrunchy, for what it's worth.
  8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i´m going to steal one from my sister´s room :D

but don´t tell her
  9. My daughter's scrungie is on mine. You guessed it, right after seeing Vic Wootens video.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Further marital research reveals that the scientific name for the ties with the little balls on them is BOBBER. So put your SCRUNCHY on your bass, and BOBBERS on your chords.

Be sure to ask for them by name at a local drugstore near you.
  11. i went to the local supermarket lats night, after consulting my sister, i approach the toiletries isle, wlked in, looked

ARGGH... so many hair thingys, saw what i was after, ohhhh, a nice ice blue set, i kept them low, grabbed the Photo film, a pint of milk and took them to the checlout,, ohhh the woman at the till knows me,, $hit, quickly through, i made no eye contact, got home, and 'sweet

i'd been meaning to try it for a while, after seeing my bass teacher with one on his 7 string, i knew what it did, but had never tried it

a bit of advice though

go for a decent colour, you don't want to look like a fool

now i have 10 of them to add to my gig bag

lets see, i now have ... hair bobbles, ,,,
  12. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    For the record, in my house, a "bobber" is something very different, and although it is also slid down towards the nut, it is generally ineffective for muting, and can often have quite the opposite effect.

C'mon, you were thinking it too. :D
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As a poor innocent who has always just used their hands for muting, can I ask whether the fluffiness of the tie is an essential factor in the equation? Can you get different grades of fluffiness - would a light grade fluffiness be better for light strings and heavy duty fluffiness suit heavier gauges? What's the fluff factor?

I would like to bet that Goth Barbie has quite a few of these as well and has named them all! ;)
  14. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    OMG that was funny :D:D:D Now that you mention it, that's what it is in my house too, maybe it's a military thing ;)
  15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    now i can't use the one with Polka Dots! :mad:

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

When your woman's p*ssed at you for something or other, do you ever worry that it might turn into a BOBBITT?

Just checking.