Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Use Only the Power Amp of the Eden WT400???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 28, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

i was wondering if i could bypass the preamp section of the Eden WT400 and use something else, like the Aguilar DB659 and run thru its power amp.

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I think you can do that by just plugging the output from the preamp into the FX loop return of the eden.

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Why????

The Wt400 is great head! I have one and the tone is killer...

4. ...but there's no way to dial in a nice warm tube growl. Another warmer preamp with more control over the preamp tube into the Eden power section would sound nice...probably as would a nice tube preamp into the preamp of the Eden (there's a thought...)

5. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    If you want tube growl, you'd probably be better off driving a tube poweramp with the effects send of the Eden.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yes it's possible - put the out from the aggie into the effects return of the WT-400.

but i'll have to go with the "why?" crowd, unless you're just looking for a temporary thing. sell the eden, get a carvin DCM1000-2000, and call it a day :)

jason

7. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I use Demeter VTBP 201s send to Eden WT400 return. This combination is amazing, I can get the cristal high of Demeter with the low punch of Eden [ Demeter has less low than Eden ]. Plus you can add bass boost of Eden to get real low, and you can use the e.q of the Eden to get your desired mixed tone. I run the Acme Low B2 with this set up, the result is unbelievable. I have yet to test my Wayne Jones cab which is on the way , then I'll post the result.
    I have tested the Demeter preamp with Crown Ce 1000 the result was less pleasing than with the Eden set up.

8. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    J.S. Please let me know when your WJ cab arrives. I'd liek to hear your feedback on it. I have two and have been very pleased.
    Gantt

9. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Gantt, how many Watts do you really need to run a single WJ? I am planning to buy QSC just for that Cab . Thanks I' ll give you my feed back when she is arrive.

10. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I have a couple of Acme low B2's. The Wayne cabs are not as inefficient as the Acmes as you can see from the specs. I run one WJ cab for rehearsal with a WT-400. I'm careful not to clip the amp and I can get plenty of sound. But it's easy to clip the Eden. With enough power, say 600-800 watts, you can easily do a small gig with one cab (did it last night). Since the cab is 8 ohms and rated at 780 watts, it's way underpowered with the WT. I tried them first with a Crown Powertech 3 - 540 watts/side into 8 ohms. This was really sufficient for my needs and it cut great even with a loud rock band. I went with the PLX 2402 mainly for the weight reduction (21 vs. 38 lbs). I run it bridged (total load 4 ohms) and at the volume I play, the PLX gets only lukewarm - does a great job. So the theoretical power max is 1200 watts/cab though I'm sure I'm not really operating at that power level.