Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

use studio monitor setup instead of an amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deepestend, Jul 12, 2004.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Can anyone answer this for me? I'm moving into a new apartment and want to consolidate my equipment. I've got a small guitar practice amp that I use at home right now. I never play loud enough to damage the amp, so it's fine for right now. However, I also have a small seperate amp and some old Tannoy monitors that I use with my computer for computer recording. Will I do any damage to the monitors if I use the amp/monitor setup for a practice amp? Just wondering.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Should be fine for practice, It'll handle the lows better than the guitar amp that's for sure. don't try and gig or rehearse with it though.

3. That should be fine at lower volumes. Another idea is to replace the speaker of the guitar amp with a bass worthy one. The guitar amp can handle the bass fine, it's the speakers that can be damaged.

4. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    thanks for the advice. I have a reh. space with a full stack in it... so that's what I use when I'm playing with other people at high volumes... this is more for quiet playing at home-- the guitar amp has worked fine so far... but I never turned it up high enough to damage the speaker. Thanks again.