Use SWR 350 preamp only?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassy Davy, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Bassy Davy

Bassy Davy Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I'm venturing into the world of rack components, but I want to start off slow. I'm going to get a power amp and use the preamp of my SWR350 (if possible) until I get a rack preamp.
    My question is:
    Can I run the preamp on the SWR safely without hooking up speakers to the SWR. I've looked hard at the manual and they really don't address using it this way at all. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
  2. I also am currently using a Bass 350 amp. I have the red faced version with the fan defeat switch on the front panel. Quoting from my owners manual on p. 12;

"It should be noted that the Bass 350's preamp section can be used for recording purposes only using the XLR out. Therefore, it can be run with no speakers attached to the speaker jacks. This is unlike most amps on the market.

There is no difference between using the preamp for recording or sending the output to an amp. So the answer is yes, you can use the preamp only.
  3. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Marcus Miller Circa 1996 ,Bass 350-Preamp,SM400S Poweramp
  4. Bassy Davy

Jul 5, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the quick answers. Marcus Miller, huh? That's very interesting.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

This is not quite right.
    Any amp with a solid state poweramp can be run without speakers. This applies to most amps, since the majority of bass amps have solid state poweramps. Marketing? ;)

Only tube poweramps should run without a speaker load.

You can also use the FX send as a preamp out instead of the XLR out.
  6. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I've written to SWR with this very question. The response from Kelly at SWR:

Can the 350x be used strictly as a preamp, with no cabinets connected to the speaker output section?

What would you recommend as the best way to connect it to a power amp, the balanced XLR out or the effects send?

I would recommend using the Effects Send Jack.

Are there any issues I need to take into consideration when doing this?

Only that you use a shielded patch cable to make the connection between amplifiers.
  7. Bassy Davy

Jul 5, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    More good info, thanks.