Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Use Traynor YBA200 as power amp only? with SVP-CL?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wounded Paw, Aug 27, 2004.

1. So I got the new Traynor YBA200 all-tube head and I'm incredibly disappointed. This was supposed to take the place of my ailing (and heavy) vintage SVT but even though it uses the same power tubes and similar pre amp stuff, it sounds nothing like it. It's horribly lacking in any kind of mid punch at all. I play it with bass and treble at 0 and mid at 10 and it still can't cut through anything like the SVT.
    My next option is to get an Ampeg SVP-CL preamp and plug it into the power section of the YBA200. My question is will the toroidal transformers and whatever else Traynor used in this amp make much difference to the sound if I'm only using the power amp section?
    Eventually I may buy a dedicated power amp but as the YBA200 is fairly light it should do in the meantime and it does have 4 6550 tubes in it so it can't be all bad right?

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Wow. I got exactly the opposite impression. My opinion is no more valid than yours, of course.... but I'm surprised, to say the least.

Just out of curiosity..... how do you have the "Scoop" knob set? Could you possibly be "scooping" your low mids out?

3. At first I thought maybe the switch to turn the mid scoop on or off may have been broken but after messing with things I realized there was a difference between fully scooped and not at all but it was a slight difference and no amount of adjusting could get the punch I was looking for. Believe me I tried.
    I expected this head to be dripping with mid range especially with the Berg NV610 I'm using it with but no such luck. Maybe something is wrong with the amp after all.

4. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Hi WoundedPaw,

I am not a professional, but play music for hobby and fun. I also tried this amp with the Bergantino NV cabinets and I was very disappointed, too. I compared it with Ashdown amplifiers and my SVT. The SVT sounded amazing, the Ashdown sounded very good, and the Traynor didn't do good at all. I tried the Traynor with all of the NV cabinets for more than 1 hour.

It's not just you :(

I think the Traynor sounds probably good with the Traynor cabinets, but I do not know so much about them.

5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Hmmmm... now that you mention it, this isn't the first report I've seen of the YBA200 being a bad match with Berg cabs. A similar thing was mentioned in this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136743

For the record, I've run mine through a Schroeder 21012, an Avatar 210/212 stack, and a late 60's Traynor YC-610, all with very pleasant (to me, anyway) results....

6. Interesting. Maybe I should dig out my Ampeg 410 and SWR 212 and give them a shot with the YBA200.

7. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've found that turning the bass and treble to zero literally turns off those frequencies giving me no sound on those freqs. I did it the first day i had it, turned everything to zero then turned up the gain and volume and nothing happened until I turned the freq knobs, try using some bass and treble and then crank the hell out of the mids, it's worked for me, i have no problem with the mid punch whatsoever. Then again, I use mid heavy basses. Try turning the treb and bass to 5, then the mids to 10 and +/- from there.

8. The problem is that you are trying to compare it to a vintage svt. You won't get that kind of midrange out of any other tube amp, not even an SLM SVT-CL.

9. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I think the YBA200 was designed with a bit of a scooped sound out of the gate and the scoop control enhances that further. If you are looking for mid range punch it might be tough to get it with an amp designed to not produce that sound. Every amp has "their" sound, and you can't always make every amp sound like every other one. If you could, we'd all be playing Behringers :eek: *ducks head and runs*

One thing about tube amps that not everyone realizes is that they have characteristic impedance curves to them that SS amps don't. Quite literally not all tube heads will "work" with all cabinets, but all SS should. So it isn't always fair to compare a tube head to a SS one with every cabinet on the market, as there is likely going to be some that they just don't sounds as good with. There is a reason that the Ampeg fridge is so legendary, the cab was designed to work with the head. I am willing to bet that if you tried out an SVT on a number of different brand cabs, Berg included, you would find that it didn't work as good on some as it does on others. It's not a fault of the Traynor so much as a downside to playing with a tube amp. You need to find the right cab for it's sound and yours.

10. I played a YBA-200 yesterday through the Yorkville cab and an Ampeg 810 and found the same thing with the midrange. It was better with the Ampeg cab but still very mid-scooped sounding compared to the SVT-CL/810 combo I compared it with.

11. I have the right cabinet (Berg NV610) and the right head (vintage SVT) and it sounds perfect when it works. Enough growl, punch, low-end, etc. to knock the back wall out of most clubs.
    I was looking for a lighter weight alternative to my SVT cuz it continues to have problems and was hoping the YBA200 might be it. It's not. I've taken it back and I'm gonna try out an SVT-3PRO and probably order a SVP-PRO for maximum portability but I'm still hoping to get my old SVT in working shape again.
    I'll never take the Bergie back, it's the best cabinet I've ever used. Period.

12. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Sound logic I would say. You want the Ampeg sound and only an Ampeg is going to get it for you.

13. Pretty much a perfect combo if I do say so myself! :D
    What's been going on with your SVT?

I agree 100%
    :D

14. It's a long story but basically ever since I got the thing there's been a problem with the mid pot on channel 1. It will cut out taking the entire mid-range with it. I don't know why but none of the techs I've taken it to have been able to fix this permanently.
    I've been using channel 2 for years cuz I don't need to adjust the tone on this amp anywayz :D
    Just recently something shook loose in the preamp while we were touring the east coast (Canada) and eventually it took down the whole amp. I took it in again for repairs but now channel 2 is very quiet and the mid pot on channel 1 is acting up again. :help:
    I've been thinking about cannibalizing my old V4B for parts or maybe even the whole preamp but that amp is perfect for recording. I've used it in our studio with several bands.

One of the reasons I've been thinking of going the SVP-PRO route is that I can take it to the US when we go on a short tour in October without it looking like we're a band at the stupid bloody border crossings. :scowl:

15. Did you ever try the YBA200 with a different cab?

16. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    This is a VERY good point, ren! I agree completely - this is my experience playing it for 1.5 hours.

17. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    You know, it's hard for me to notice this because I have only used the Bergantino cabinets in a small shop.

Can you please tell more about what you think of the Bergantino NV cabinets in a 'full use' situation - such as rehearsal, performance with band, etc.

Thank you. :)

18. Well the day after I picked up the Bergantino NV610 cabinet we headed off for a 10 day tour of eastern Canada with another very heavy band from Montreal who's bass player uses an ampeg 810 with an old peavey head I believe. I had used that cab with my old SVT in the past when we had played shows together and could never get much definition out of it.
    Well as soon as I started using the Berg I was blown away. Every show we played I could hear every note of my bass without drowning out the band. We played a wide variety of shows from large clubs to house parties and not once was I lacking in tone, volume, clarity, anything. Even my guitar players were commenting on it after the first shows. It sounds like a vintage ampeg 810 should sound but much more definition and volume without sounding brittle. I've directly compared it in live situations to my SWR 212 and Ampeg 410 combo, a SWR 610, an Eden 410 (all 4 ohm setups) and some others and it definitely reigns supreme. There are no emphasized frequencies just clear volume across the range and tons of definition and punch.