Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

use your judgement

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by buddahbass, Jan 20, 2005.

1. buddahbass

buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i discovered talk bass about 6 months ago, and i i'm very glad i did. but i notice a lot of people asking what sounds better or what should i buy. this is a great forum for bassist of all kinds to get together and talk about a vast number of subjects. but no one is going to be able to tell you what sounds good to you. what sounds terrible to someone else might be just the sound you are looking for and vice verse. this is a great place to get advice and to find out about things you might not find otherwise, but don't substitute anyone else's judgement for your own. you're the one who is going to be playing it! :)

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Everyone's aware of that. However, many of us don't have the opportunity to try out a lot of the gear we want before buying it. If I limited myself to only buying basses I could try out in my area, I'd be stuck with something that didn't suit my needs. So we rely on the judgement of people we've come to respect or who we know has similar tastes in music to help us.

Also, a lot of beginners simply won't know what sounds good-for example, if they have a bad amplifier, a Fodera and a Rogue might sound the same to them, so advice of quality of sound is helpful to those folks. I wish I had TalkBass when I started out for this very reason.

Your post is a good reminder though to trust your own judgement above all else when you have the opportunity to.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I appreciate your sentiment, but the fact is that you can take my opinion to the bank! Just make sure it's not mistaken for a hold-up note.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I tried that and they told me I was "not economically viable".

5. I think you make a great point in the sense that asking "which sounds better?" is very subjecting 95% of the time. They should really be asking, "which should better give me the tone I'm searching for?" or "how do I get the sound in my head onto my bass?".

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Tried that today, the bank said "opinions are like buttholes, everyone's got one, but that one just had a big night on the curry".

I left very confused.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.