1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Used 1996 MIM Fender P bass for 200$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deanyo, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I have a quick question :)
    I was in the pawn shop today and found a 96 MIM Fender P bass. She's got one decent little ding in the back, slight scuffing on the front and one of the plastic knobs is shattered. Still works fine, just needs a new knob. The bass plays pretty good, sounds fine, just needs new strings and to be set up properly.

Sorry to ramble, my question is this.. Is that a good steal for $200? I have never owned a Fender but have been wanting a P bass for a while now and this seems really cheap. Maybe cuz it's from the mid 90s and all the used ones I've seen are mid 2000s but basically I just wanna make sure this wasn't like considered a bad year for MIM P basses or something.

I don't mind that it needs a little fixing up, I am wanting something to be able to gig and not worry to much if I ding it or something.

(I'll try to upload pics later. It's not letting me from my phone.)

2. Negotiate.

$140.

3. Haha sounds good to me. I was gonna try an work them down a little bit

4. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    If it plays good that's a great price.

5. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    When I buy a bass, I always take a hex wrench with me and check the truss rod. $200 for a MIM is a fair price, "IF" it has a good neck. Everything else is fixable.
    Rocky

6. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Plastic knobs on a MIM?

7. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    96 MIM P Bass had white plastic knobs.

8. Didn't the late 90's models have strat knobs?

9. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    early-mid 90's MIM stuff can be really nice. I have a tele from then that's just great.

10. Ah! Good idea. Thanks man, I checked the neck and it's straight with no real bowing to it. But good pointer to check the truss rod :) thanks man

11. It has strat style knobs but they are clear with gold numbers. Not sure if they are the original or not.

12. +1 If the truss rod isn't seized it's a very good price based on your description.

13. BassMan99

BassMan99

Mar 15, 2006
    Rochester
    these are a great deal (early 90's to around 96 MIM) i have an MIM Precision 1993. it has shaller tuners (stamped shaller), a great neck, real light alder body. Really the only thing cheap about these is the plastic volume and tone knobs. mine has full size CTS pots and decent wiring. I say buy it.

14. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    You are so right. I bought my '98 used and it came with upgraded pickguard, pickups, and apparently, knurled metal knobs. I had assumed the knobs were original.

15. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    I believe a majority of the 90's-early 2000's MIM Precision basses had the plastic numbered knobs and some had barrel knobs. I actually prefer barrel knobs because they screw on and stay on better than the plastic ones, not to mention are more durable. Anyways $200 for a MIM bass is pretty fair and below what they averagely go for most of the time. I would try to haggle a little because of the condition and also check to see if it is one of those black Fender labeled Squier series basses that came out around the mid-90's MIM basses. Because then technically it is a Squier bass. Yeah I know Fender owns Squier and I am in no way implying hate on Squier, they are actually still decent basses.

16. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    And yeah, the neck is great on mine, comparable to the MIJ I used to own.

17. Oh ok. Good to know. So If the Fender logo is black then it's technically a Squier? Cuz I am pretty sure it was lol. And yeah I've played some good Squiers before :)

18. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    Well it depends, look on the head stock towards the tip and it might say "Squier Series." If it does then it is a Squier series MIM Fender bass. Yeah, the Squier's coming out these days are pretty nice basses.

19. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Yeah, probably not much difference between a MIM Standard and MIM Squier series, but it could be a bargaining point. Often you will see the "Squier Series" decal sanded off. Look for a light spot in the area it appears in the second picture below.

Standard
    [​IMG]

Squier Series

IMG_1099.

20. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Note that the grain is finer on the Standard compared to the Squier, this is typical of that era. I was going on the assumption that the Squiers had plastic knobs, standards had metal, but it looks like I may have been wrong on that count. There were also Korean made "Squier Series" with outlined Fender logo from that era. The serial number will start with CN.