1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Used 2004 Stingray - Deal or No Deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Swampish, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    I'm seriously considering upgrading from my current Sterling Ray34, which I really enjoy playing, to a full blown blond (though listed as honey burst) 2004 Ernie Ball Stingray (used, but in very good condition-not a Special). Currently, it's selling @ $1100 US. I might try to get it closer to $1000, but it seems like a pretty fair deal to me.
    Wondering what more knowledgeable peeps think. Maybe some basic questions to ask aside from the neck condition (excellent, apparently).
    Thanks!

Turbo Sparky likes this.
  2. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    There are no known "issues" with Stingrays from that time frame so if it looks good, it probably is good. I assume you'll ask the usual questions and do the basic inspection because, well, HUMANS.

Swampish likes this.
  3. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    As long as it’s not been abused you should be good. Can’t go wrong with stingray of that vintage.

Swampish likes this.
  4. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Here's the catch, I'd be buying it online. Yes, from a reputable source, but still online. Looked at the pics and while they look good, obviously you can't catch everything. I'm not used to buying gear this way, though it's exactly how I bought my Sterling, coincidentally enough!

5. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I’ve owned 4 Stingray SR5s, 1998, 1999, 2004, and my current SR5, a 2011.

I paid between $800 and $1100 for each of them. All bought through Guitar Center’s website site unseen. All came with the usual return policy. All were great and had no issues, except the 1998, which arrived with pretty chewed-up frets (the ad copy did say it was “well-used”, to their credit, I guess). A fret job later, and it was a smokin’ bass.

I don’t think $1100 is way out of line, all the better if you can get it for $1000.

Good luck!

Turbo Sparky and Swampish like this.
  6. I can only speak for myself and my bass, BUT in 1987 I purchased an Ernie Ball Stringray bass new at a music store in West Virginia. In the 32 years I've had the instrument (20 years as my main instrument), nothing has broken, wore out or not worked as it should. I've only had the neck adjusted once, and tuned the bridge a few times. Other than batteries and strings, its needed nothing. Its been an amazingly stable, dependable bass. If there is a return policy you can live with, I'd be comfortable buying the instrument online.

dkelley and Swampish like this.
  7. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Pulled the trigger! And was able to get it at $985 US tax and shipping included!!!! AM SUPER STOKED (my wife less so, but I will sell the Sterling once I get the Ray and run it through its paces)!!!! Thanks for all the input!

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Congrats - hope you're happy with the bass...hey, no need to sell the Sterling, keep both. lol!
    52854589_420912441993555_8069610462414635008_n.jpg

Swampish likes this.
  9. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks and I would love to, but I think that would create some stress at home. Limit set at 3 basses. I can live with that.

10. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    1100 is probably about right. I paid 1k for a used 95 4 years back, and it was about average price wise (I specifically wanted a two band). There were a few cheaper, although at least one of those was from a seller who was a little shady. The ones that were more expensive were a little fancier looking than mine.

Swampish likes this.
  11. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Do batteries leak inside of active basses?:woot:

12. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    If You try it out and have a good impression....go for it, also if you like the design.

Swampish likes this.
  13. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    9V batteries usually dont leak

Swampish and bobba66 like this.
  14. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    The only issue I have seen has been the stupid positive-switching output jack they used. I have converted several over to negative switching (for customers and on my own property)

15. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    $985 is a good deal, and the Ernie Ball basses are really great. There's a certain intangible "something" about playing the real deal.

Swampish, scowboy and AudioTaper like this.
  16. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I read this and smiled... I vicariously felt the rush of getting a new bass through your post!... Thanks brother!

Swampish, LowRick and AudioTaper like this.
  17. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Ya buddy!

Swampish likes this.
  18. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Picked-up a 2004 Sr 4H via Guitar Center on-line for $900 (USD)…
    After clean-up, some contact cleaner here/there, new strings and battery, proper set-up, and a Hipshot drop...
    Score!
    The original case was a little worn, but the bass was without buckle rash, scratches, or any other "defects."
    Plays like butter, at least as well or better than my 2014 and Special.
    I'd ask for pics around the pick-up, bridge, knobs and back of headstock/tuning machines.
    Anyway, good luck!

Swampish likes this.
  19. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    TL;DR no deal!

20. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

Sep 11, 2012
    GTA, Ontario
    I love Stingrays! Bought my 2002 last year for $750 Canadian.

Swampish likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021