1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used Ampeg 4x10 HLF?? or new Hartke 410xl for same price????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rattman1, Nov 1, 2010.

1. rattman1

rattman1

Oct 31, 2010
    So this is the question.

Playing classic progressive hard rock with a EBMM Stingray.

I have a Hartke 3500 head:
    says it can go 240w @ 8 ohms or 350w @ 4 ohms.

I have played hartke 410 transporter before and got a great sound from it with the Stingray.

I'm not slapping much and don't expect to for the most part.

So which cab would you guys get.... a slightly used Ampeg 4x10 HLF in great shape or a new Hartke 410xl for the same price ($350)??? And why do you feel that way??

There is also a used Hartke 4.5 cab available for about $250.

What is your opinion??

Thanks
    Rattman

2. morganmcd

morganmcd

Aug 30, 2010
    Canberra ACT
    Ampeg

3. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I saw the CL ad you posted in the other thread. The cab I was talking about was a B series cab, it looks like the one you are looking at is an SVT. I would get that over the Hartke. In general, if a used cab and a new cab are the same price, the used one should be a better quality cab, which I would say is true in this case. They have different sounds, though. I happen to prefer the ampeg tone.

4. JeanBG

JeanBG

Dec 28, 2008
    Belgium
    go for the ampeg! :bassist:

5. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I owned the Ampeg, it's a bit loose sounding with a big lows. It depends on if you like a tight mid range or a scooped loose one (Ampeg SVT-410HLF). I'd say go with which ever sounds tighter/more midragne to your ears as it will most likely sit in the mix of classic rock music better.

6. I use and like the Hartke 4.5XL, I would recommend that over the standard 410xl always, but as for the ampeg vs the hartke... different tone, depends on your taste really

7. rattman1

rattman1

Oct 31, 2010
    Hey thanks all!

Based on what you telling me I will probably go with the Hartke 4.5.
    The Ampeg sounds like a quality cab.... but I'm concerned that it might be too much low end and not enough mids.

If the transporter sounded good with my stingray... I have to believe that the 4.5xl will sound ever better.

.... and I can get it for $225 in good shape