Used Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blipndub, Nov 4, 2004.

1. I think I've decided to replace my SVT-3 with a GK head although I haven’t completely decided which one (probably the 700RBIII). I'm in kind of dilemma though about how I should go about it.

There are so many used GK heads out there is pretty easy to get a great deal but I wonder if I’m better off ponying up for a brand new head with full warranty and a non-mysterious past.

Are used heads worth the "risk", is buying a new head a waste of money?
  2. I would personally buy new. You cant go wrong with a 700RB or 1001RB.
  3. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I'd say used is the only way to go. Not much risk, especially if you can try it first. The higher-end the gear is, usually the better it is cared for...

... but there's always risk.
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Always a risk, but I haven't received a lemon yet and I have never bought a brand-new amp.
  5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    How much are you looking to spend? The price of a new 1001RB-II from Rik's is hard to pass up.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Count me in as another used-gear guy. I haven't been burned yet, and I like used gear because I like to swap things out from time to time, and there's no better way than buying used and selling used at just about 100% of your money back. Can't do that with new gear without taking a big hit.
  7. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    yeah i second that. for the price you would sell an svt-3 for you really wouldnt be talking a whole lot for a 1001RB-II through riks ( )
  8. Rik's prices are pretty amazing it does kind of change the equation a bit.