Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Sep 30, 2000.

1. What do you think of used amps? Would you trust getting a used amp. I have the opportunity to get a hartke 2115 combo for $210 less than normal price because, i'm told it has a minor dent in the front. This is from a store that bought it keep in mind. they offer a 45 day return as well. What do you all think? Is it worth it?

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I love used equipment. Musical gear is alot like cars: the moment you take it out of the store it loses a good amount of its value so new gear isn't worth it if you're looking to sell it in the future. Also, a lot of people buy equipment they don't need (or get yelled at by their SO or parents for buying it) and return it in great condition. The store has no choice but to sell it as used at a discount.

I don't see how you could go wrong with a 45 day return policy. Try the amp, if you don't like it, return it. Chances are, if there is something wrong with it you will find it out within those 45 days.

3. that's why i was thinking, but i was talking to a friend of mine, not that they're an expert or anything, but they said that it would come with a decent sound and slowly breakdown by and by the 45th day it would be left with a terrible sound but i will be too attached to return it. What do you think?

4. Well my friend, if it breaks down that fast.. in just 45 days, then you have made a very bad purchase!! :)

Nah if it is just a cosmetically thing like a dent, it is a new amp wioth a $210 discount.. I did have full warranty or? Try it out well before you buy it and you will probably be fine, and your wallet will thank you afterwards ;)

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    If it sounds like crap how are you going to get attached to it? It's just an amp, if it doesn't do what you want it to do, you won't want it around.

6. Here's my last question. If it sounds good and just like any other Hartke 2115 combo would sound, it's not gonna get worse basically. Right?

7. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I wouldn't think that it would get any worse. Sure, over the years there's going to be wear and tear on the speaker and it will probably eventually go down in sound quality (though then again maybe not), but you definitely won't see the sound go to crap in 45 days. Also, as said above, chekc and make sure that it has a warranty. The warranty would cover anything electronically wrong with it (ex: if it failed in 45 days, there would be something wrong with it electronically, so it would be under warranty). Definitely try before you buy. If you're looking for specs on that model, check the Bass and Bass Amp Manufacturers section at Harmony Central, there's a link there to Hartke.

I think that this is the correct URL:
    http://www.harmony-central.com

8. Hey Mr Cookie

How long have you had this "friend"? Sounds to me like a real "that-for?" type. You know, like in (whine) "Whatta you wanna do THAT for"? Unfortunately these guys are all over the friggin place. They get their jollies by trying to discourage people who are doing the things they themselves don't have the balls to do...

9. I love used stuff, I bought a Peavey 210TX Amp that normally goes for about 800, and I paid like $450 for it, because the corners were dented in, and it was two years old, but the guy offered a 30 warrenty (usually if its gonna break, or it doesn't work you can tell within a week), it plays fine... and I've had it for a year now.

10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Used gear is great. There are some super buys out there, 'cause so many people want "new". Just give the amp a thorough workout before you buy it. And...if it is just a dent...well, that would probably happen soon anyway...:D

11. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Hell most of my rig is used gear. As long as it checks out OK and there is some type of warranty, and of course you like it, what the hell ya waiting for?;):D
    Sure I have had my share of returns, but that is the great thing about return policies.

Try it, beat it, if ya love it, keep it!

Who the hell told you it's gonna crap on you in 45 days?!
    Don't listen to em'. If it sounds good in the store to you, with your bass. Then it will probably sound good for a very long time in your house.

It's not like there's this timer in there that will set off a surge of electricity and fry the components on the 46th day.

Then again?!;)

12. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Used gear makes the world go round. Be a smart shopper and have fun!

Craig

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    The only thing in my rack that isnt used is the preamp. Used gear rules. The only thing that would be of any concern would be the voice coil in the speaker, crank it, if it sounds good, buy it!

14. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    The only new piece of eqipment I have are my cables.

Heck, even my picks are used (my guitar player gave me a few).

15. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If there is a specific piece of gear that I know that I want, I shop for used FIRST. Then, if I can't find a used piece that I like, I break down and buy new.

16. You can save tons of money buying used gear. I used to buy only new but have since gotten a little wiser. If you are worried about stuff breaking down, go find a good tech to work with. Having a good working relationship with an amp (and bass) tech who understands what you're trying to get out of your equipment can alleviate a lot of headaches.

17. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Yea...I bought a Peavy 410 TX recently which usually goes for about 700 bucks for 275 because it was used. Amps and cabs are great things to buy used because they are hard things to break. All you have to do is check to see if the speakers are blown. That takes about a second. The only thing I don't care to buy used is tube amps. Tubes can be bad or broken and that just causes problems.

18. Well, thank you all very much, i appreciate everything and i want you to know two things. I did buy the amp, but it did indeed have a problem. So they replaced it with the other used one, it had a problem. But get this. They sent me a Brand NEW one for the same price that i paid for the used one. How sweet is that. Also, the tech service from the company is great. i bought it from AMS.

http://www.americanmusical.com

19. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hey, that's awesome! See, sometimes you can even get more than you bargained for when buying used. :)

20. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Cool! Glad to hear things worked out for you.

Craig