Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sk8boarder317, Mar 5, 2003.

1. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    hey ...i have this amp that i got with my bass...a REALLY crappy Dinasaur practice amp..its like 25 w ...i would say im a intermediate player and i need an upgrade..especially since these ppl want me to be in there band but i need a new amp...i have a limited budget and i was just wondering if you guys knew of any place to get used amps...either online or where i live...madison, wi... i know good n loud (in madison) and musiciansfriend.com has there limited supply so im lookin for other options
    :bassist:

2. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    bassgear

ebay

HC Gear Classifieds

music-go-round

ebay can be more expensive than the others, but a bigger selection.

Lots of people here recommend Yorkville stuff for inexpensive good quality.

I've found that bass gear is so heavy that the money you might save from buying used across the country is eaten up by shipping. Try your local music stores first (I'm sure Madison has a ton of 'em)

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    .The Dudepit (www.thedudepit.com) is another good forum with forsale ads.

Both here and the Dudepit you can post a gear wanted ad as well.

Also, click on my homepage icon for another place.

5. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    :D im excited about that offer...my friend has that exact same one and does put out some pretty nice sound...how much would it be if i could put together enough money? i really dont have any thing to trade...but i might be able to get 250...especially since my bday is coming up..

keep me posted

6. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    also...where do you live cuz i might be able to drive out to get it...save some extra bucks

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    His post shows him in California...kind of a long drive from Madison.

Since you live in a college town, I suspect that there would be a good number of music stores in the area. Check the bulletin board at UW to see if someone is selling gear too.

You can post a want to buy here on TB, www.harmonycentral or bassgear.com.

Music Go Round is a favorite of mine this side of the boarder...I've found some incredible deals there (and some lousy ones too).

I have a friend who lives in Madison that might have some equipment for sale...what's your budget? $250 or less?

Are you looking for a combo or a head and cabinet?

8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Yeah, I'm across the bay from San Francisco, so that would be kind of a long drive (just a bit ;) ). I figure shipping for it should be no more than $50. Probably closer to 40. PM me if you're interested.

9. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    basically im looking for something around 250...i dont expect to get a cab/head setup for that so im looking for a combo with a speaker-out thing so i can hook up cabs later:( if i have the money.. haha

10. Man, you don't realize the advantage you have living in the US. I love Canada, but the selection and prices are so much better in the US (even with the exchange). For $500 I can't find anything more than 100 watts.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I agree...I don't think that many Americans realize how well we have it in so many ways...

In addition to relatively cheap used gear, we have "delightful" superstores like Guitar Center that sometimes sell brand new gear way below cost to get rid of it. Case in point, during a "list sale" last October, my nearest GC offered a brand new Ampeg B50R combo for $173 and a brand new Ampeg B3 combo (essentially a B2R amp in a combo cabinet with a 15) for $329. Ironically, neither sold. The following Monday they were back to their regular prices...somewhere in the $400s and somewhere in the $700s....absolutely mind blowing.

But it hasn't always been that way...when I was a teen in the mid '70s, I lived in a small town, both new and used gear were expensive...

12. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    All I can say is Thank God for the Internet.

Buying used just wasn't an attractive option 10-15 years ago, unless you got really lucky and someone in your town was blowing out exactly the gear you needed.

I hardly ever buy new anymore. I just spent $675 on an as-new EA CxL-110 and Stewart World 1.2. That combo new would cost me at least $1100.

13. hey sk8boarder317, I hope the old POS amp will go to a bass student who does not have cash, but will appreciate a good gesture. I did that with my fender bass, and I felt really good about it afterwards.

14. http://www.6string.net

This is my guitarist's page for Northwest Indiana. We are not far from Madison, about 4hrs. tops. Cool town. I've got a Bergantion cab listed on there. You can also find musicians and great links, or advertise your band. Just check out all the pull down menus. Free Classifieds is were you will see the gear or you can post a free "looking for" gear.
    There is tons of good used gear out there. Good luck!

15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

:eek: :eek:
    Whoa! well done! When you get your bigger amp, remeber to give your old one to a newbie or sell it. its the nice thing to do :D

I dont really know too much about used gear sites, but ive looked at all the sites the other guys have mentioned, and i give them my thumbs up (the sites that is :rolleyes: :D )