Used Bam.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    How much do you think I could get for a slightly used BAM. Only like 4 months old.
  2. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    It still is a great amp, it just has a few small annoyances you notice over time. Most people probably wouldn't notice them, but they slowly grate on my nerves, until I reach the brink of insanity.
    When I first bought it I hadn't noticed them yet. I probably won't sell it but I was just curious how much I could get for it.
  3. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Mainly I'm just extremely pissed the tweeter blew, and its going to take like 3 months to fix.
  4. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah, for some reason my local dealer is EXTREMELY slow on ordering anything. If I order strings locally it takes 5 weeks, if I order them from Lebanon, MO it takes about 3 days, and the store in Lebanon doesn't even stock the strings I buy, so I get them straight from the factory!!!:eek:

It is free however.
  5. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Once I get it fixed, I think I'm going to try adding a capacitor in line with the compressor, to hopefully get rid of the crackling.

Like I said I don't think I'll actually sell it. I was hoping you guys would tell me I couldn't get much for it used, so that I could just get selling it out of my mind.

O well,
    Thanks for the advice! :)
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You can't get much for it used.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Crackling in a piezo tweeter is a sign of amp this happening only at high volumes?

I thought you could just turn the BAM's tweeter off as a program parameter.
  8. Hey Chris - I'll go as much as $25, and I know you won't get a better offer than that!!!!! Your call:D :D :D
  9. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Four month old amp.

Three months to fix a tweeter.

....echo Josh Walsh....unacceptable
  10. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I know its not clipping, but that is a good guess. It has something to do with how the compressor is wired. It only does it when the compressor is on. It flickers in unison with the 2nd led on the compressor flickering out.
    I've talked to Pevey about it but they didn't notice it. Maybe it has been fixed on the newer BAMs. I have one of the originals.
    You don't notice it at all playing with a band, but I do some solo stuff, and it gets annoying. I'm hoping my compacitor idea fixes the problem. Once I actually try and do it, I'll tell you guys my results.
  11. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    More good news!

I talked to my dealer, and they said last time I needed a replacement part it took so long, b/c of an employee who no longer works there. So I talked to them and they said they could get it in a little over a week.:)

Also I verified that the BAM has a class A/B power amp. The afore mentioned dealer recently told me peavey switched all of their power amps to class B, and that had me a bit worried, but I talked to rcrimm and he told me almost all of Peavey's amps (including the Bam) are class a/b, class D, or class H. :)
  12. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    Chris, I am playing a prototype Bam, and it does not do the crackling you asked about. I have tried a couple of production models, and they didn't do it either. I think you just had a bad tweeter from day one. Let me know if it still does this when you get the tweeter replaced. If yes, we might want to look at the compressor circuit.

Three months wait for any part is ridiculous, especially warranty parts. We ship parts three day ground in most cases. If a dealer says he can't get a part for three months, he is full of it. Even if the part is back ordered, we can usually get it within a couple of weeks or so.

Usually (but not always) when I hear something like that, the dealer is on credit hold or something and can't order anything. Of course, it is always easy to blame the manufacturer. They would usually rather do that, than admit to an irate customer that they didn't pay their bills and are cut off. :rolleyes:
  13. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I never thought that the delay was because of Peavey. I knew it was my local dealer's problem.

I also believe you that either the Bam you have doesn't do it, or that you don't notice it.

It could have just been the tweeter all along, but the other Bam I've seen does it to. However even though it does it to, it is no where near as bad, so maybe getting the new tweeter will solve that problem to!
  14. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    The other good thing is since it was the tweeter that blew instead of the actual speakers, it means my Kosmos (sub-harmonizer) didn't do it. That was one of the other reasons I was thinking about selling. I loved the kosmos, but I thought it was eating my speakers.
  15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If you do sell it, PM me. I'd be interested. :)
  16. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Ok I just finished putting my new tweeter in!

Great news, it more or less fixed that crackling that had been bothering me! It still is there ever so slightly, but its about 1% of what it was before, and I hardly notice it now! I guess I must of had a bad tweeter from the get go. Sounds great now!
    Thanks for the advice.

Sorry CE. :p