Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used bass decision: Westone Quantum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Jan 29, 2003.

1. OK, I go to the store and see this Steinberger look-alike. I try it and it has an interesting chunky (?) sound. It's bad for slap and pop but otherwise it's compact and sounds fine to me (plus it looks kinda cool). So the guy says: that $250 for it.

The bass appears in good condition. The prevoius owner did stick standard strings instead of double-balls. It has a small crack in the paint but it shows a very hard, dense wood. (hard maple???) I played this thing and it felt right, comfortable and had a sound I really liked.

Any thoughts/info on this bass?? I'm thinking of buying it. At $250...

Anything to look closely at the Steinberger system it has?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I own one of these. Good, solid Steinberger copy. And mine has a decent slap tone, too. But it excels at P bass tone, with the neck pickup soloed.

I don't understand the last question.

Price? I paid $207 for mine on Ebay. If that one is in good shape, it's worth at least $200. See if you can haggle with them a bit.

When new, they were advertised as being all maple.

3. Thanks dude. Yeah it was quite P-like.

That last question was about the (I guess) bridge. Are those four knobs the tuners? And how do I lower the action? The strings were very high.

BTW, love the 24-fret. I can now do some more Peter Hook bits.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The knobs at the bottom of the bass are tuners.

I haven't adjusted the action on mine, but there are allen screws(hex heads) on each of the saddles for this purpose.