Used bass - fingerboard smells like gas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by complexprocess, Jan 14, 2004.

1. I was at the music sture today and there was a used Ibanez EXB404 (or so the tag said) with a hardshell case for something like $180, seemed like a fair deal to me. I kinda like the look and feel of it, and it was in good shape.

Anyway, that's all beside the point. The fingerboard on this bass smelled similar to gasoline, and it was strong enough that I could smell it while playing (i.e. not sniffing the fingerboard). Has anyone had a similar experience? I thought maybe that was the smell of a cleaning product. Anyone know about a product that might smell like this? How about a way to get it off?

I'm pretty sure it's just the fingerboard that smells. I don't think that it's the result of someone trying to remove stickers with gas, and it isn't a case of the stinky ergodyne finish. So yeah, any thoughts?
  2. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    some people clean thier basses with some crazy ****, like lighter fluid (probally that is what it is)
  3. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    just don't smoke and play at the same time.
  4. Gasoline (benzene) was originally a cleaning agent.

But maybe the fingerboard was cut from an old creosote-impregnated railroad tie. :p
  5. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I dont know where you got that-benzene is a carcinogen and is not present in any real quantity in gasoline which is mostly trimethylpentane.

Besides that things like lighter fluid, kerosene, etc. are actually pretty good nonpolar solvents and can be good cleaners.