Used Bass suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbitsky, Jul 27, 2005.

1. tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005

I'm shopping around for a used bass. For $600 or less, can I do any better than an American Fender? I always liked the sound of them, but before I go buy one, I wanted to know if there were any others I should be trying out.

2. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    If you're not set on a J or P type of bass, then the field is wide open. Play everything in your price range and buy the one you like best.

If I was going to make a suggestion, I'd recomend you try a Lakland 44-02. They combine the best elements of a Jazz and a Stingray but still have a unique flavour.

Have fun shopping.
  3. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT

My LB75A with AAA quilt maple top and matching headstock, five-piece neck-through, gold hardware, 3-band active EQ, abalone block inlays and Dunlop straplocks cost me something like $800 including a tweed case and a lovely leather strap (that I think is either a Levy's or a Moody...expensive, in any event). I eventually upgraded it with Bartolini pickups and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp. It was fine it's killer.

A slightly less pimped-out Carvin will cost you considerably less, as will a four-string. Everybody wants 5s these days.

There are only two things I don't love about it. One is the block inlays...they're a bit over the top. The second is the shape, which is kind of dated and boring to my eye. I prefer more modern shapes, e.g. MTD. But one man's "dated" is another man's "classic." Look at the enduring popularity of shapes that were first penned 50 years ago or more.

Unless you've got your heart set on a "name" brand, it's worth a look.
  4. $600 would be the low end of Stingray and Peavey Cirrus territory, but I have heard these basses going for this price.

I was looking for a Cirrus 5 for almost a year, and would have bought one at the going retail price of about $1,500, but found a great one used for $800.

Buying used is a little luck and a little patience.

Which basses are you considering other than Fender?

5. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I 'll throw in my thoughts. I ended up getting a MIJ Fender for that price range (used) and I am absolutely THRILLED with it. It is MUCH better than the American Standards that I tried out. Good Luck!

6. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    $600- $800 could also probably net you a used Warwick Corvette or Specter Rebop, possibly a Euro.
  7. tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

In answer to your questions/comments:

If you're not set on a J or P type of bass

I am not set on any particular style. Mike Gordon and Chuck Rainey are examples of players with tone I like. What style of bass they use (and how it makes a difference), I don't know.

Currently, I do have a PJ style bass, but that was simply what was on the bass and not purchased for any reason.

Everybody wants 5s these days.

Not I. I do not believe or care for 5 strings, but that topic would be a whole other thread, I suppose.

All your input is greatly appreciated.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am fond of Spector basses. You could get yourself a nice Rebop for that price. You could also get a Korean Spector, and have some money left over.

9. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Try a used G&L L2000. Wide variety of tones. Great basses.
  10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Lakland 55-01.

You can get one used for about $500--550.
  11. I am a bottom feeder when it comes to price and very demanding when it comes to the quality of the instrument, although minor dings and scratches don't bother me...that's a fact of life in the used instrument world. 3 of my 4 basses were bought used and many, many came before them. 2 of those 3 are American made: a Hamer USA 2-TEK CruiseBass ($500) and a Reverend Rumblefish XL ($360) and the other is a Japanese Fender fretless Jazz Bass ($300). I would advise you to go to stores and play as many different basses as you can, narrow it down to 2 or 3 that really move you and start looking for them on the used market. If you're patient, you'll be able to find something you really want at a reasonable price. All my used basses were "targeted" as basses I really wanted. I had put my local dealer on notice that if he had a Japanese fretless Jazz Bass come in, I wanted a call. He called and I bought it on the spot. Patience is the key when you are buying used.
  12. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I'd seconed the recommendation for Warwick. I'd suggest the German made rather than the 'rock bass' asian models. I am not saying the asian models are inferior, but you'll certainly get better resale value on a German built Warwick.

Your price range will get you a used Streamer Standard, Corvette or Fortress (if you can find one of these, you're lucky - check the 'bay).
  13. tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    Thanks, everybody. The G&L L2000 looks the most interesting to me. I'm going to go out shopping tonight and see if I can A/B it with a Fender.

I always wanted a Modulus, but I don't think I'll get one of those for less than 1200. My current bass is getting the job done, but it's still a little woofy and does have some buzz issues. I thought about replacing the pickups, but it seems silly to put 150 bucks worth of pickups into a bass I paid $100 used for.

14. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Have you looked into the New Yamaha's (BB414 and 614)

you should .... Great Bass!

15. Mike Gordon plays a Modulus Quantum 5 w/ EMG's. your probably not going to find a used one for more than a few thousand though.
  16. tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    Mike Gordon plays a Modulus Quantum 5 w/ EMG's. your probably not going to find a used one for more than a few thousand though.

That's what I figured.
  17. A used Carvin would be a good choice.

There's also a used Lakland Skyline at Bass NW for $499. Sunburst with a maple board. Should be a nice all-around bass within your price range. :D
  18. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    You should look for used MIJ Fenders as well.