Used bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gram, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Gram

Gram Guest

Jul 15, 2004
    It will be my first bass, I dont care if it has dings or scratches because ill probably slap a bunch of stickers on it anyways, but do used bass's usually have a bad sound quality?
  2. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Like most everything else in life, it all depends on the individual. Or, it depends on the bass!

I've owned several basses -- most I've bought used. I've had high-end basses that I didn't care for the sound of, and inexpensive basses that had tone to die for.

Just bought a used put-together bass I love the sound of.

Just sold a used Sadowsky that I didn't really care for.

I know it sounds cliche, but YMMV! :bassist:
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I play paying gigs every weekend, and have done so for about 15 years. Each of my last four basses I have bought "used", and they've all been great. Don't worry about it . . . just make sure it isn't damaged when you buy it, and take care of it just as you would a brand-new instrument, and you'll be fine.
  4. Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    A used bass will show the defects better
    ie. warped neck or poor quality pots or bad wiring

But the pots and wiring are easy to correct with very little money. But if you start changing the neck it starts to get a little expensive.

Robert VanLane
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Used is the way to go. If I can help it, I will not buy a new bass again. You get so much more bang for your buck used! Just make sure that the neck is true, and play the bass plugged into a decent amp. Work the controls while it is plugged in, and make sure that they are quiet, solid, and work properly.
  6. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I'm with Embellisher. Used is the way to go. You get way more bang for your buck buying used. I just picked up a used Tobias for $900 that sells for $2000 new. It looks like it's never been played. I quit buying new basses after I realized how much money I was losing when I would sell them..
  7. My situation is very similar...12+ years of 100+ gigs per year and I haven't purchased a brand new bass (except for a "parts bass" I bought for $230) in almost 10 years. Currently I have that parts bass and 3 others that I bought used. You can get a lot more bass for your money if you buy used. What Eric says is 100% correct.