1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used car woes? State crossing history clearing? Car salesmen wanted

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tommygunn, May 13, 2011.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    My mom is looking to get an Infinity FX335 to drive for a couple years until she can get her 'retirement car' and then give the Infinity to me when shes done with it. Anyways its an 06 and it 51,000 miles with 3 owners. It started out in California and then got sent to Texas, this is what has my mom worried. She read on the interwebz that if a car gets bought across state lines, once the title gets switched the history gets wiped clean. Sounds like BS, right? Thats what I thought, but apparently our mechanic (and long time family friend) said the same thing. The dealership said otherwise and they claim nothing was done to it (as far as wrecks or work done on it goes) in California. So whats the deal? Does that actually happen?

Thanks

2. I think something like carfax should show the entire history. I know that for my Jeep there is history from Florida on the carfax.

I'd be curious about that many owners on a relatively new car though.

3. Original lease holder, dealer, second dude that bought it. Three owners right there.

lowsound

4. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    It might be easier to alter info, ect., but switching states doesn't necessarily "wipe out" history. There's a different title issued for each state, so I think there are ways people have taken cars that were salvaged, or had bad histories, and ended up "cleaning" them by somehow getting a new clear title in a different state. I just don't know exactly how it works.

Her best bet is to have a good mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection. Also, if the price seems too good to be true, then there may be concern.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Big +1 to this.

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Thanks, shes got the carfax for it. I figured carfax would keep that kinda stuff.

And the dealer has it back again cause the second people who bought it needed a third row for another kid on the way.

That was the concern. Shes going to have the mechanic check it out. And price is about right so no concerns there.

Any comments on the car itself?