Used Carvin Prices?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mamoru, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Wow, maybe i should list my '98 LB70 (avatar pic).

DJ Bebop and EatS1stBassist like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That bass is a beauty.:)

3. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    For what it's worth, I've been ordering from Carvin/Kiesel for decades and have generally had good experiences with the customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to order again.

4. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Not a big fan of their newer designs, but I like the old ones.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. Floppystrings

Floppystrings

Apr 5, 2019
    You mean this video:

It does sound like he backs off quite a bit, I remember around this time the drama was out of control. Jeff made an apology video about the customer service in between. It's really hard to follow drama like this sometimes, the bad stuff is really loud and gets a lot of attention and you don't really always see how it turns out.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I was absolutely devastated when they discontinued the Bunny Brunel but of course that was not their call. I wish they would re-do it and change it enough to where they could use it, but still keep the basic body size and upper horn.

7. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    I bought 4 different basses from Carvin and one Kiesel and they haven’t really change. Good customer service and the price seem fair to me.

They phased out the LB serie and introduced more bolt-on and headless models. More metal oriented shape mostly.

my Zeus is the best sounding Carvin I have. They sound very nice and feel so much better to me than other brand like Warwick or EBMM. But this is just me.

8. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    I bought an LB75 in a pawnshop last year for $700. Best deal Ive gotten on a bass. Looking for a PB5 now.....

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Thank you. I’m quite fond of it. .

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. Floppystrings

Floppystrings

Apr 5, 2019
    This one looks pretty awesome:

Used Carvin Bunny Brunel 5-String Bass, Lane Poor Legacy Pickups, Black, BB75 | Uncle Ike's Music & Sound | Reverb

I saw the LTD version, but this one with a single soap bar pickup has vibes. Me being me I would probably switch out the pickup with an MEC MM style pickup (if it fits). Unfortunately 5 strings are not really my thing.

I love the look of an all black bass, but with a gloss finish.

11. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Custom options on a guitar is like adding chrome to your Harley Davidson.
    You’ll never get additional cost back at resale.
    If I can assume that the first video is accurately portrayed, I’m not a fan of Keisels attitude towards the people that put food on his table.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    DJ Bebop and EatS1stBassist like this.
  12. Floppystrings

Floppystrings

Apr 5, 2019
    I was going to post his apology video but I couldn't find it. I feel like I only got half the story, sorry if any Kiesel/Carvin fans were thrown off by that.

The drama seemed to be a bigger thing in the guitar world, and other forums so I was surprised when someone mentioned getting a Kiesel. It seems like their fans are very divided.

Jeff was/is very active on social media, and I have no social media at all. I guess it can help and hurt a business when the owners are very active online, because all the good and bad is basically all out there for everyone to see.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  13. gtmalone

gtmalone

Sep 30, 2015
    Allen, TX
    Very happy with both of my Bunny Brunels. '99 BB57 (yellow), '98 BB75F (blue burst). The '76 PBass is not too shabby either. :bassist:
    Hated to see Bunny part ways with Carvin. I was close to buying a third BB when that happened. The BB75 was about 1200 and the BB75F was about 1000.

i-hhBD8MF-L.jpg

14. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    A local music store had 3 Carvin's recently, two were six strings. The prices kept going down until they finally sold them. Last I saw they were asking about $700 each.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. I always felt that Carvin was an interesting company. Direct to customer, large scale, custom guitars and basses - and then a standard line of amps and PA gear.

The resale value on Carvins was always low - maybe half the new price, if in excellent condition, or 1/3rd! Some great steals put there that were $1,200 new but only went for $400 used. Of course you were buying someone else’s option preferences, though they have a standard line of instruments.

That said, it was hard to find used Carvin guitars locally in the 90’s. The people who custom ordered them either kept them or were unwilling to accept the market price on something they paid a lot for. I’ve owned a few Carvins over the years - all quality instruments. All bought used for a bargain.
    Prices on new instruments are high - from all guitar makers. $1k for a mass produced import is not uncommon. Makes Kiesels seem more affordable, new. Not sure what the wait time is for a custom bass though. Finding a used one means you can be playing it at a gig within a week. For some, that is worth the current used premium prices - especially if you find one optioned the way you would have ordered it.

16. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Wow! Terrible attitude towards his customers. :rollno:

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. I know this isn't a Carvin but I think an example of something that might not sell right away :)
    Peavey T-40 Bass Guitar | Reverb

18. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah Jeff does a weekly Q&A Live on Facebook and Instagram. He has special deals on guitars for that hour and sometimes has a 'pick your top' deal where you get to literally pick out the top you want on your build.

One one hand where else can you do that? You don't see Paul Reed Smith personally talking to potential customers :)

On the other hand, Jeff can be a polarizing guy that does not mince words. He knows what he's doing and he does get a lot of silly questions!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  19. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Make sure to watch the followup video where Kiesel built the customer a new neck and the guy who made that video admitted not knowing the facts and apologized for being wrong.

spatters, DJ Bebop and EatS1stBassist like this.
  20. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Will do! Thanks :thumbsup:

DJ Bebop likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021