Used Carvin Prices?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mamoru, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Sounds like because of the video some good came out of this. Which may have been the purpose:)

mmbongo likes this.
  2. Hey, you still want one of my basses?
    I'm over here now.
    Bunny_Brunel-1-300x300-1.jpg

Products - Bunny Brunel - The ESP Guitar Company

:)

PS, I don't know the whole story but, the time I spoke to Bunny, it wasn't him parting ways. I got the feeling that Carvin didn't want to support the instrument anymore. The construction of it with its assmiyrical neck was something they wanted to move away from. More standard construction. He wasn't happy, plus he felt they never support his bass through marketing. At the time I told him their efforts for marketing seemed to be more guitar driven anyway, basses are the ugly step child of the music world :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  3. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

I bought my JB5 in the factory showroom for a really good price :D Went there the firs time on a Saturday and it was priced already low. and then met by chance F at the Escondido Trader Joe's - came back Monday and got an even better deal.

I miss San Diego. The most laid back big metropolis in the nation. I believe, Carvin is a San Diego musician thing. Unless you are a snob, you will have some form of Carvin - everyone I met anyway who played guitar or bass. When I first moved there -- they still had the Carvin amp division by the Carmel Mountain exit. I visited briefly but missed out on the closing out sale

In the showroom they have historical instruments like the lap steel. The bass room has very nice amps - Mesa, DNA. Aguilar, TecAmp - maybe even a Berg.

Very nice people. It is really sad people bashing on Carvin Kiesel and then complaining why everything is made overseas. I am sure in the classified FB and CL in San Diego or Orange county - you'll find moderately priced Carvin. The money specially for long time residents is in their houses which doubled in price since I was there

DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Asking price and selling price are usually very different.

This current "inflated" gear market is quite a bit of an illusion, IMO. Lots of people are asking high right now. IME as a buyer, they often aren't getting it. On average, I'm paying the same as, or less than, I was paying two years ago...and finding cooler stuff...as well as brick-and-mortar shops that are more open to stronger haggling. Just a month ago, Sweetwater immediately accepted an offer that I never thought they would, on a brand new, hot, and fairly uncommon item that they had only one of. And that's just a recent example, and not too extreme compared to what I've scored in the past year.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Runnerman and DJ Bebop like this.
  5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Kiesels apparently low resale value is a double edged sword IMO

it’s bad for the person who wishes to sell what is, by all accounts, a very well constructed, high quality instrument

Buying used...it’s good for the buyer who knows about the quality and can get a great instrument for a low price.
    Buying new...It’s good for new guitar purchaser who knows what they want and Plans on Keeping the instrument to play, rather than an investment.
    They can get a quality bass/guitar with options at a factory direct price.
    One of my friends and band mates plays a custom Vader guitar and it’s a REALLY impressive piece. At $3k it should be
    I was this close to trading a desirable Musicman for a Keisel but couldn’t justify the loss I’d be taking should the Keisel not be to my liking. I took the “smart” business option and wound up making a very good deal on my item elsewhere.
    I feel empathy for the sellers out there who know what they have in terms of quality, but cannot recoup a fair amount of $$ on their initial outlay of cash.
    I have gone through hundreds of basses in my time and have stayed away from Keisel for this very reason.

...and they look weird

6. Yeah, it's about to...
    fd1cf775f4b1419aa80029ded14e19b8.gif
    Though :)

2F/2F likes this.
  7. gtmalone

gtmalone

Sep 30, 2015
    Allen, TX
    Speaking of overseas... I went to a blues jam years ago with one of the Carvins. A guy came up to me and asked where it was made. I told him San Diego and pointed to the "Made in USA" on the headstock. The guy said it's made in Japan or somewhere and they just put that on there to fool you. Alrighty then! Idiot.

lowdownthump and DJ Bebop like this.
  8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Like George Carlin said about stupidity...
    Think of the stupidest person you know and realize the half the people out there are more stupid that that...

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    It is hard to follow this type of drama, you never quite know who is right and who is wrong, and certainly there CAN be fault to spare for all involved.

I will say this: from that first video, Jeff doesn't seem to have a very "customer service" oriented attitude. This has nothing to do with his actions but more the arrogance and brash attitude with comments like, "keep the guitar and quit whining", "don't be a baby" and referring to customers not having common sense. That is unheard of for a business owner to talk to/about their customers that way, publicly.

I bought guitar amps from Carvin back in the day, but they really haven't been on my radar for basses; now, they definitely will never be.

I'm glad he apologized, that's a big thing to do. Still, you don't talk to customers that way.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  10. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I was wondering how they are able to do that since The Split.

There have been horror stories about Carvin's customer service but it does seem things got worse when Kiesel came into formation.

I've ordered two Carvins & one Kiesel and never had any problems, but my orders were pretty simple ones.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. Yeah, he Jeff, may believe those things he's saying but, that's something you say in the back of the warehouse after hours over a couple of beers with the boys, not on a video and post it to the world.

That may go over well with harden metal heads, the rest of the world, no so much :)
    Of course, IMHO...

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  12. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    I am guessing that we will begin to see lots of Carvin listed at high prices after this post.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Not really. If this is the follow up you're talking about.
    Dear Jeff Kiesel : The Follow Up - YouTube

14. bottomzone

bottomzone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2005
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. I think Carvin instruments have always been a good value on the used market.

Back in the 80's when I was playing hard rock, I always wanted to order one of their guitars,but never wanted to take a chance without being able to audition one in person.

I FINALLY scored my 1st Carvin in April of 2020 at a pawnshop for an AMAZING deal.

For what I paid there was no way I could go wrong taking this guitar home.

MY '88 Carvin DC127:

49835011473_f9a871dff3_c.jpg
    49835845547_fd5718fab9_b.jpg
    49835848407_823a88d7c3_b.jpg

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That there is a SCORE!

jefff100 and Texsunburst59 like this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021