1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used Carvin: Why is this one worth so much?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Handyman, May 11, 2010.

1. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I saw this beautiful Carvin LB75 on the Bass Emporium's used gear list. Its just stunning. Figured walnut top, koa (I think) neck and body, the nice new 18v electronics, piezo pickup. Very cool.

Then I look at the price: $1,899.00. Unless I'm missing something, custom ordering a new one to these specs would cost a bit over $1600 today.

Am I missing some sort of extreme awesome-ness that would make this instrument worth $1899 USED? Perhaps the control cavity is full of gold?

http://www.bassemporium.com/item.php?sku=101491

2. Wow. Maybe the employees at Bass Emporium simply didn't try to recreate the same bass on Carvin's site to see how much it would cost brand new? :confused:

3. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    call em and offer 1100

4. I've seen that for a LONG time - obviously been there a while.

My guess is that it's a consignment and the owner has his head somewhere warm and dark....

I've seen that happen a few times.

5. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    They have that bass overpriced by at least $1,100. Perhaps it's a practical joke?

6. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The consignment thing hadn't occurred to me. That would make sense, though I'm surprised that they'd bother taking a consignment marked at more that the new price of the instrument. Perhaps the BE folks didn't bother pricing a new one out.

The actual market value for that this IS ridiculously low for such a tricked out bass.

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    consignment, as mentioned

8. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    maybe that leading 1 in the price is an accident?

9. That makes sense, except BE only makes money if they actually sell it, right? I'm surprised they'd waste space with that bass priced so high...

10. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Bloody hell!

BE has a Guild Starfire with two hums AFTER I get my graduation present.

Oh well.

And P.S. Anybody can ask anything they want for a piece of musical equipment.

11. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I live fairly near BE and go there sometimes. While BE is not where I go looking for bargains on used bass gear, they have very competitive prices on many new items. As a Carvin endorsee, I'm well aware of Carvin's pricing. I smell consignment strongly. A rather futile attempt to actually make money on a Carvin resale, no doubt. Admirable since they are always undervalued at the new sale price. Ah....if only it were possible.....

12. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Totally agree- anybody can ASK anything they want.

HOWEVER, I think the issue here is that its BE posting the crazy asking price and not some un-informed schlub on CL or eBay.

13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Of course. Doesn't make it any less preposterous, though.

14. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I do A LOT of business with the guys at BE. I'm certain that this one is a consignment that the owner won't come down on. They know what they are doing in the business department, and would never price one that ridiculously on their own.

15. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    That's actually an XB75 looking at the bridge placement.

16. Yep - 22 frets.

Good catch.

17. How does consignment work? I have some things to unload, how does the store make money? I don't mind helping capitalism.

18. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Basically, the store doing the consignment will put your instrument up for sale in their shop. If it sells, the store typically gets a cut of the sales price. Often times, the owner gets to set the asking price.

A store will typically try to talk someone out of asking for an outrageous price. Perhaps BE was humoring a good customer in this case.