Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

used cirrus prices affected by elimination of neck-thru line?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i would imagine that the value of neck-thru Cirrus' from years past should be higher since they went to strictly bolt-on or custom shop (much more expensive) options...or is it too early to tell?

2. No more neck-thru's except for customs?

3. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    well i assume it's that way because when i look on the peavey website they only give options for bolt-on, BXT, and custom shop. the old site with all the neck-thru's that have been around for the past few years isn't there any more. :confused:

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would not trust the Peavey website. It is highly inaccurate, and has been ever since they redesigned it in 2003. At one point, the only 6 string listed was a Redwood fretted and a Walnut fretless, even though all wood combinations were available in fretted and fretless.

5. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I was just on the phone with Peavey today ordering parts and I asked about the "new" neck through Cirrus. They ARE still making neck-thru models, and for about half the price of what they used to cost, but they are being made in the far east. According to Peavey, they are great and very close to the original USA made basses. I would imagine that the new producitopn models use some cheaper parts to further distringuish them for the USA made basses as well but they do look the same at a glance anyway.

So apparently Peavey has really stretched out the price points on the Cirrus line.

6. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I believe that these are the "BXT" models.

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, it's "BXP". :)

However, I THINK they do still make the "standard" USA (non-custom shop) neck-thrus, as well.

8. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I hope so. Couldn't find 'em on the web site though...

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am going to post a thread on the Peavey forum and get the real truth on this. If Peavey has really discontinued the USA neck through Cirrus, they need to have their heads examined. But I don't believe that they have.

I'll let everybody know as soon as I find out.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would have to second Embellisher. The Peavey Cirrus is the least expensive "boutique-style" available. I was just playing a sweet Cirrus four yesterday that I will figure out how to buy sooner or later because it sounds like a dead ringer for a Ken Smith at half the cost.

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ok, here's the poop... at least as of now.

They're still there, and as far as Sales is concerned, they have no reason to expect that'll change.

They've not been given any notifications, nor have they even been told to try and steer folks away to other products (such as the bolt-ons), and all those standard models are still in their ordering system.

Here's the kickers:

1.) The web info is not automatically drawn from some internal system. All content has to be manually added to the site.

2.) Webmaster? They currently "don't have one".

Now, don't read too much into #2, because that's literally all that was said... it could be the web site has always been someone's "second" job there, could be they had one that moved on and are now looking again, dunno. The main point is, the content has to be manually put on, and they don't have a person who has that as a specific priority, so inconsistencies should be expected until #1 and/or #2 changes.

I should get a call back if there's anything to add/update on this, but this is the story at this time... direct from Peavey.