Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used Custom Shop Jazz price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lackey, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey,, i'm curious about a used Fender Custom fretless jazz bass my local GC has. Coated and lined rosewood fretboard, sunburst finish, tort pickgaurd,, either EMG or fender Noiseless pickups,, and the "ash tray" pickup and bridge covers. Plays good,, could use a setup and newer strings. Overall its in good condition EXCEPT for a dent/mar above the pickgaurd about 1.5 inches long.

Anyways,, they have it listed for $850. Is that a good price?? Could I get say 800 from it if I played it for a year or so and didnt like it?

What are your thoughts on the price//net worth.

Thanks.

2. Whats "custom" about it? Sounds to me like a regular fretless with a rosewood board.

I wouldn't pay a dime over $800 for it, and I'd try to talk them down to even less. If you know how to play a salesman, you could probably walk away with it for $700 flat. At least you probably could at the Sacramento GC. Not too sure about the ones in SoCal, but you still have a good chance.

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I guess the custom shop selects better woods for their basses and the quality check is more, am I right? because I'm only guessing:)

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Custom Shop instruments are built in Corona California by "hand". Now,, I have visited the museum and seen them at work,, they basically hand pick the woods, CNC route it,, hand finish it and hand assemble it. No they're probably not as good as Sadowskys,, but they are way better than the majority of MIA fenders.

SO,,, If they still have it when I'm down there again. I might just offer them 600 for it! hehe. Maybe 700 with a hardshell case.