Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

used custom shop or new standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Jan 2, 2005.

1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Would you rather buy a used custom shop (USA made) or a standard new bass? You love both and they both have the same pick ups. The new one is neck thru and the US is a bolt on. They are both about the same price. Do you buy the custom shop because it is a "custom shop" and it makes you feel better. It also took the depreciation hit. Do you buy the Standard (Korean) because you like the look and neck thru better. Plus you know someone didn't thrash it and clean it up to sell?

Ok like this. You could buy a new Fender Rosco for $1000 or a used Fender Custom with pretty much the same setup that has some dings and dents that is roughly 8 years old. This might not be a perfect compairison, but you get the idea.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What fenders are made in Korea?

3. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    depends on how they feel and sound.......if they were the same price....thats what would matter most.....

4. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Ok I high end new Ibanez Korean, or an older Custom shop Ibanez.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id get whichever i liked better. I dont think you can like 2 basses exactly the same, especially if they are a lot different, and of different quality.

6. Generally if the used bass is in good condition go for it. In general, I prefer an American (aka top of the line) made bass, not just because of construction, but because of parts. The MIM Classic 60s Jazz is Mexican, but feels like an American because the parts are meant to emulate the old American jazzes. The standard MIM just feels different because of different, cheaper parts. That can make a big difference.

7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    like everyone has said it's all about what feels good to you. but on pirinciple i would go with the custom. 90% of the time you are going to get more for your money with a used bass. And there is less chance of new problems developing with a used bass.

8. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Everything else equal, go with the custom. In 2 years when GAS kicks in and you need to buy another bass, the custom will likely be worth at least what you paid for it (because it's used, not because it's custom), whereas the new bass will likely lose 20-30% of its new value.