Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

used dbx 120xp woes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jondog, Feb 28, 2003.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I bought a used dbx subharmonic synth off of ebay and it finally arrived today. I hooked it up, and 2 of the knobs are wonky. The subharmonic knob has a click at around 9. I'm not sure but I don't think the unit processes *at all* until after the click, so my adjustment range is from 9 to 10. :mad:

Also, the 24-36hz knob has a less pronounced click (more of a whhoomp) around 9. I do think it works below 9.

I like it overall. My sound is definitely fatter. If I crank the subharmonic knob, I can use the two frequency knobs to control how much effect I get, right?

I have a gig tonight (Texas Arizona in Hoboken across from the PATH station for anybody nearby!) and it's already racked so I'm going to use it, even though I usually like to try new gear out at rehearsal first. What should I do? I already sprayed a *lot* of contact cleaner, w/ minimal results. Should I send it back? Pay to have it fixed? Just leave the sub knob at 10 and use the frequency knobs? Any advice from techies or dbx subharmonic users is appreciated. Thanks!

2. pay to have it fixed. A broken knob is something you could probably do yerself. the effect can be very subtle, depending on how much bass you are pumping into it. the two freq. ranges and the Subharmonics knob are all gain controls so ignore the deepest one IMO and just try cranking the subharmonics control and _carefully_ start blending in the 36-56hz knob. Play low and loud, see if it registers. You'll know because those LED's will show you how much processing is going down.

[​IMG]

http://www.dbxpro.com/discontinued/120XP.htm

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK, now the pots are the least of my worries because the dbx got fried along w/ a bunch of my other gear on Friday night. It arrived at 2:00, I racked it at 4:00, and killed it at 10:37.

I opened it up, and nothing inside looks burnt. I'm assuming the power transformer went, because a power surge was what killed everything else. The transformer looks easy to replace. It's all by itself away from the circuit board and is connected w/ easily soldered wires. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement? I'd rather not pay a tech $50 to look at it, plus however long it takes at $50 an hour. At that rate I could buy another one. Should I just give it up for dead and look for another?

4. Hmmmm...I dunno. maybe quiz the folk at your local electronics fix-it shop, see if they think it is worthwhile or what. Might just be a few blown resistors or cheap power supply who knows? It's a great box, worth fixing (cheaply) IMO.