Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used Englehardt S9

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jazzbo, Sep 22, 2000.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hello Everyone,

Once again I need everyone's expert opinions!

I'm talking with someone regarding a used double bass. This is what he's told me:

S9 Englehardt

Made in US. (He believes)

Serial number 72015

Pickup Included (type not known)

He's had it for one year

Received from a friend, who got it from his father. (His father is a teacher at Stanford's music department, it was the department's old bass that was retired for a new one).

He's never once played it.

Doesn't know anything about the strings.

Doesn't know anything about the fingerboard.

Doesn't know what type of body. He is saying it looks like maple?

So, that's what I know. He's asking $900.00. I looked at Englehardt's website and it had a Swingman S9 listed for $3000. Is this the same. Also, I should mention that this would be for jazz purposes predominantly. He's going to email me some pictures of it.

Thanks for the help.

2. Hey Jazzbo,

I have an S-9. Love it. Spruce top and curly maple sides and back, ebony board and tail piece. Probably factory steel strings unless they changed 'em. Mine is 5 years old and sounds like a charm. $900 sounds like a good deal. BUT, look inside the f-holes and make sure the model ID is the S9, not a lesser one. Web site's showing $2565.00, new. It ain't beat up is it? The S1 and S9 are Englehardt's top of the line. The S1 is a brown finish but the same spruce and curly maple woods. The S9 is a blonde - natural blonde that is. Have at it and thump away!! Let us know what you think.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Still waiting. I'm playing phone tag with the guy selling the bass. Unfortunately, I'm out of town on business all month, so I really have to wait almost 4 more weeks to check out the bass. I hope he holds on to it.