Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used Exotics in Boston

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BenF, Feb 27, 2004.

1. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    Did some quick visits to music shops in Boston over the past week, here's some of what I saw (I'm not affiliated with either of these stores - just lettin' you know what's out there.)

Guitar Center on 2/26:
    - Sukop 6-str (maple board)
    - Vigier 4-str
    - FBB 6-str fretless (1pickup, jack only, no knobs, unlined)
    - LeFay 6-str (headless!)
    - Alembic 6-str (I wasn't sure if it was a Series I or II, with power supply, VERY tight string spacing)
    - NS electric upright 4-str
    I thought these basses were overpriced, which isn't suprising at GC; the Sukop was $3000!

Rock city Guitar on 2/21:
    - Wal 4-str Mach I

2. Hey, what did you think of that Wal, at Rock City? I thought it sounded great unplugged, but through an amp it was...interesting. I played it for just a few minutes, and I don't think I even began to scratch the surface of what was tonally possible with those low pass filters. Pretty weird, and pretty cool. There were definately some pretty cool sounds you can get out of it, but there were a lot of sounds that I thought weren't so great. Interesting bass anyways. It was the only Wal I've ever gotten a chance to play. I wonder if they're all like that.

Was that fretless Zon Legacy four string at Guitar Center? That was a sweet bass.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    For the love of God, buy the Le Fay.

You probably won't see one again in the US and you will thank me for the rest of your life.

4. "Rock city Guitar on 2/21:
    - Wal 4-str Mach I"

Not on their website now. Details? Color? Was it a hard poly finish?

Jeff

5. Where is that GC?? I am VERY interested in that FBB.

6. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    The GC is in Boston on Commonwealth Ave, opposite BU.

I didn't get a chance to plug in the Wal, though I have played a few in the past (have never owned one). Jacob, you're right, they are very interesting tonally and the filters had me scratching my head as well but it's cool to see something other than normal tone controls on a bass. The Zon might have been there and I looked right through it..

Zoomboy: Looked to me like the Wal had a hard poly finish over a dark solid color (either brown or black, don't remember, sorry..) It had it's share of dings on the body, definitely a player's bass. Price as marked was $2400, but I see that Corey has it listed on Bassgear for $2000. Give Rock City a call to confirm the details, I've had good dealings with them.

The Lefay is interesting. It's entirely made out of a VERY dark, large grained wood, maybe wenge. It looked pretty old (the control cavity cover was cracked, bridge was well-worn). I had a serious sense of deja-vu with this bass. In 1991 I was at Berklee with a German bass player who had a bass exactly like it. Over the years I forgot all about the bass. When I saw the thing at GC it all came back. For all I know it's the same instrument!

7. Assuming that the electronics were correct, yes they're all like that. Did you try pulling up on the controls to get the boost / pick attack etc happening? It's true that you can make a Wal sound pretty bad if you work at it, but once you've got it figured out they're unbelievably great sounding basses.

8. Jacob,

I spoke to Corey today (pulled the trigger on that Wal) and he is a great guy. Thanks to you and BenF for the heads up on Rock City. That bass will make a fine buddy for my Mach II fretless, at least until Pete gets my new Mach III built in a few months.

9. mmmm wal!

PICS!!!!

10. I just checked out the listing on Bassgear for this bass, a black hard-poly Mach I. I know that Wals are hard to find but considering the condition of the bass as descibed $2K is a quite a bit on the high side of things. If the condition were better I might think differently. Rock City Guitars...buyer beware I guess...

Jeff

11. I received an email from the builder of that FBB fretless 6 in the Boston GC and the price is set higher than i could order one new from the builder!! :eek: I think i'll pass on that bass.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

Buyer Beware???? Dissing a seller in a forum without all of the information really sucks. I don't think a statement like that is warrented unless you actually saw pictures or played it for that matter. I played that bass many times and it's well worth $2,000. Not my cup of tea but considering what those go for new than $2,000 is a bargain. Rock City Guitars is always the first place I send people to in Boston.

13. Corey was actually very good to deal with and flexible on the price. I had someone go in and check the bass out to be certain. It is actually in better condition than described, and it worked out ot be a good deal for both of us.

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Andy (emjazz) has a good point, plus IIRC it is either the owner or an employee of RCG is a supporter of Talk Bass and is on these boards constantly.

As for Nick and BenF,

If you go to the BU GC, you might want to talk to a guy named Mike Visconti (if he still works there, ask for him), he can work pretty well with the prices... ESPECIALLY if either of the items you were talking about have been there for over 30 days.

Oh BTW, there used to be a boutique-like guitar shop off of Newbury street on one of the alphbet cross-streets (around Darmouth/Exeter/Fairfield), I can't remember if that guy is still there...

15. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.

I called them today and bought the LeFay!!!! I will have it on Friday!

John

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    John, be sure to let us know what you think of it.

17. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    I'm with emjazz - Rock City rules. It sounds like Oddio got a good deal and transaction..

j-raj: I'll look for Mike the next time I'm at the GC. The boutique store off Newbury is gone, too bad. And, yeah, Corey is a supporter and frequent poster here (under the handle "Gibsongeek", I believe.)

Prock: make sure to post a report (and pics!) when you get the Lefay..

It's nuts that Nick could order a NEW FBB with the same specs as the one at GC for LESS than the price they're selling it for used..yikes..

18. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    and they have a nice doggy :)

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

20. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    The GC on Comm ave has been doing a great job getting some exotic used guitars in. If they don't sell, they get rotated
    out every 30 - 60 days I think.

As for the prices: haggle, haggle, walk away, and haggle again. I don't think I've ever paid full price there for anything over
    $100. I usually find them very receptive to making a deal, even if it's only 5 - 10% off. If whoever your dealing with doesn't
    want to work with you on price, find some one else. :ninja: