1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Used Fender MIM P-bass for $150?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    For a few days I've been eyeing this used Squier pbass for $100, just for the sake of having something I can slap because all I have otherwise is a hollowbody Epi and my ubass, both not at all slappable. Today after work I go in to buy it, and sitting right next to it is an identical Fender MIM pbass for $150. I'm very much a noob, but as far as I can tell, the neck is straight, there's no cracks, the frets look good, it plays just fine, the pickup works, the tuners seem to work. The tone knob is missing but the post works. I'll take it to my luthier next week for an expert opinion to be sure, but assuming there aren't any terrible problems, how can it be so cheap? I think they're $580 new. The guy in the store said it's a 2002, but should a perfectly functional, 10 year old MIM fender lose $430 in value?
    2cf6vjb.
    j630g2.
    2eaqw3q.
    noypfd.

2. You just got a killer deal on it

3. Faijex

Faijex

Jun 26, 2009
    Iowa and UK
    You should buy them both, is it at a shop or a craigslist/classified ad?

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have bought multiple $150 Fender MIM's, they happen. I am always looking for my next one. :D

I usually buy them, clean them up, change the pickups, and shield them. Make a good profit at the end of it all.

5. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    As long as it really is what it says it is and not parted out of various things, and does function that's a great price compared to what they go for in my area.

There's 10 or so on CL now and none are priced under $300 with most being around $400+

Personally $280-$300 is about the most I'd pay for one used and in good condition.

I've seen an occasional quick sale MIM priced right at $200 but not often.

6. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    DO IT.

7. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Usually when you see MIMs at this price, they are the black label, which are essentially the same as the Squier series, but this a Standard. Great Score!

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I wish I had taken a picture in the store because literally side by side were 2 black and white p-basses, one a squier and one a fender with $50 difference in price. Now I just have to learn how to slap.

9. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    In 2002 these ran around $350 new. The price of a new MIM has shot up in recent years.

10. Mtnman

Mtnman

Jun 5, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It looks legit from the pics you posted. I think maybe you just got a good deal. In my area, used MiMs go for $300 - $350.

11. ecapdeville

ecapdeville

Mar 26, 2007
    Mexico City
    I bought mine new in 2001 got it for around 350 dlls... A very good bass

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    This was in Sam Ash, a major retailer here in New York, and this one was in Long Island, where nothing is cheap. It wasn't there yesterday and when I went in today, sitting right next to the $100 Squier I was planning on buying was this Fender for $50 bucks more. Assuming it's in as good condition as it seems, I'm thinking the guy must'v f*cked up. Yay for me

13. funkmaru

funkmaru

Mar 29, 2012
    I bought mine used for $200, not far off from 150. I say you got a great deal!

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think my Epi Allen Woody is gonna be lonely for a while. I told myself for years that I'm a hollow body, short scale kinda guy and Fenders are for the birds, but goodness gracious, I love this thing.

15. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    In this economy, good deals can be had all the time. As long as you're careful to authenticate the bass first, I'd say grab it. It's an even better deal, potentially, than my latest acquisition, an essentially new Squier CV 60s P in Sonic Blue for around $206 sans case.

16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I just put it down after about 3 hours. I haven't played roundwounds in a few years and my finger tips are pretty raw. It's an awesome bass though. As far as I can tell. Feels solid and has really good sustain. The p bass neck is new to me and this is my first non shortscale but it's good so far. I don't think it's damaged or the neck is bad. I just hope it's not a fake somehow. I doubt it thOugh.

17. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    150 for that bass is a great deal!

18. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Detailed pics, could solve any authenticity questions very fast.

19. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    In fact and I can't believe we've come this far w/o it being said..........Pics or it didn't happen.

-No pics -no bass -no great deal

20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I agree that remaining agnostic on the issue is the default position, but the pics I posted are the best I think my phone can do. From what I've looked up it seems legit and my luthier will hopefully confirm that next week