1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used Fender P-Bass Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whiplash17, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Whiplash17

Whiplash17

Oct 12, 2013
    Hello. I started playing bass about 6 months ago after playing guitar on and off for years. I bought a used 5 string Schecter that I am fond of, but really wished I had started with a 4 string. So, I have been watching my local Guitar Center for months looking for a used Fender P Bass. After not finding anything, I decided to take a leap of faith and buy one online from a different GC.

I called around looking for something in very good condition and found one this past week, it should be delivered on Tuesday :)

From the pics and the add, it is a dark blue (they called it Royal Blue but said it wasn't a metallic type finish) MIM Fender P-bass with a rosewood neck and a black pick guard.

After doing some looking online, I don't see a whole lot of dark blue Fenders (or black pick guards) and am hoping it isn't some random P-bass style body with a Fender neck bolted on. Is there anyway to tell if it is a genuine Fender (i.e. not a Squire, or some other clone)? BTW, I am in no way trying to knock clones, but for the price I paid it better be real!

Thanks in advanced for any advice.

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    A look at the headstock, and the serial # should tell you all you want to know...

- georgestrings

3. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    They usually came with white pickguards so that has been replaced. They did come in a blue finish that almost looks purple in certain light. GC has a 30 day return policy so you will have plenty of time to check it out.

4. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I know it's nerve-wracking waiting on an online purchase to arrive, but don't freak! It's going to be great!!

And if it's not, just take it back to GC and try again. I've sent some (pretty damn) BIG ticket items back to Musicians Friend, American Musical, and Stratosphere (eBay) because the finish didn't quite do it for me in person. It's part of the online business model, and it's your money!

But don't worry, it'll be great!! GC doesn't stay in business by selling fakes!

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I have seen that color before and it was on a mim Fender. Don't freak, I am sure the bass will be as advertised.....

6. A look @ the headstock and serial number should tell you all you need to know ... about the neck. More than likely legit MIM.