1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Used fridge...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowend1, Mar 2, 2013.

1. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    I've owned a few squareback SVTs - still have one. The other day I came across a used 70s box (the later one with the towel bar handle). As is my custom, I popped out a couple of speakers - they were all alnico CTS, but appear to have been reconed. I've always been told that when you push in on a speaker cone in an SVT, the opposite unit's cone should pop out a bit, because each pair of speakers is in its own sealed 2x10 enclosure. My own SVTs have borne out this theory. In this case, the second speaker doesn't move.
    What would cause this to (not) happen?:confused:

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I can think of two possibilities:

1. The recones were done with low-compliance (stiff) suspensions/surrounds, more-suitable to guitar use than bass use.

2. There is leakage among the four 210 chambers. If so, that would suggest either structural damage or someone having modified the cab's internals.

3. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    Y'know, I think you nailed it, Craig! The speaker cone paper had the same pattern / texture as my originals, but there were fewer, wider ribs in the suspension surrounds - and no doping at all. The cones did feel less "lively" when I pressed on them as well. I'll have to go back and play through it to see if that has a marked effect on the cab's tone. Thanks!

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would also guess it is the suspension of the recone kits. My old fridge had recones on at least 5 of the speakers, and I was young enough at the time to have taken the first 2 of them that blew to a really old and super cheap speaker guy in Denver I found that obviously just used some compatible kits he had in stock and didn't seem to comprehend why it would make a difference for normal use- they were both much stiffer and both blew again in no time with bass use unfortunately. The other 3 that I had done at a more expensive (but also well-referred) place all rocked hard until years later when I sold the cab. I will add that when I bought that cab used it was sitting next to an older square-back that was also for sale and I tested the speakers on both before buying the newer one I did for cheaper- I remember one of the selling points of mine was that the speakers used had noticeably more suspension than the older speakers in the 70s cab (though those may have been reconed as well). Since I didn't originally pair my fridge with an SVT and had some higher powered solid state stuff through it before that I think I made the right decision, though I do recall that the older cab was super cheap for its condition by todays standards and sometimes regret not going with it!