Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used Fulltone BassDriver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Jan 8, 2002.

1. yes, this is the effect you have been lusting after for months and thats one hell of a deal. you sh

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Nah, save your cash, You can get a better deal or a better pedal for that price and a car and a stin

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. its $150 and i really really want it but i am also trying to save for a car/stingray/etc

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    #2, the car and ESPECIALLY the 'ray are more important. But if you wanna, go for it!

3. pfunk

pfunk

Dec 29, 2001
    you've already got two basses. do you really need that stingray? get the fulltone, it's an awesome pedal.

4. for $ 150 you could get an EBS multidrive.. very nice pedal :)

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    You can get a new one for $179 just FYI. I have one on order right now (back ordered).
    I'll post a review once I get it

-KB

6. pfunk

pfunk

Dec 29, 2001
    the new ones are silver, fyi.

7. are they really that good? What do they sound like ?

8. Hard to resist:
    [​IMG]

Think early Geezer Butler tone,
    or SVT, or a way overdriven Tube Power Amp.
    Keeps your bottom end.
    Extremely high quality tone.
    Compression cut and boost switch make it very versitile.
    Sounds great with gu*tar too.
    Just MHO:
    It's the only effect I use,
    and the only effect I can't live without.

But, don't that just my word for it. Here's three other opinions from "The Bottom Line" Archives:
    ------------------------------------------
    from the Bottom Line archives

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:27:22 EST
    Subject: Overdrive pedal!!

For 3 years I have used a FullTone FullDrive Bass Pedal. I am a REAL gear junkie have owned most others and tried them all. The Fultone is the quietest when in line and totally quiet when turned off. It gives you 2 levels of drive ...
    NOTE! this is not a Fuzztone. It is IMHO the best "overdrive , saturation sound or just Volume boost out there. I use it with my Hoyt EURB ,
    Hoyt J style and my 49 Kay upright.
    L. Don Mulkey

-----------------------------------

from the Bottom Line archives

Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:00:09 -0500
    Subject: Re: Overdrive

Hey,

Phil from the UK wanted to know about the Boss overdrive. If you're talking about the ODB-3 then I can help.

I wasn't able to dial in the warm "tube-y" kind of distortion you were asking about. The Boss gave a very edgy distortion.

I have found *THE* bass overdrive box for me: The Fulltone Bass-Drive 2. I can't say enough about how cool this pedal is. My favorite setting so far is a very subtle overdrive with compression
    (built-in). And hey, it comes with chicken head knobs to boot!

It is a little pricey (~$185-$199 US) but it beats the pants off of any of the other OD pedals I tried.

Mike Fuller, the owner of Fulltone, pops up on TBL from time to time also.

-------------------------------------

From the Bottom Line archives

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:05:51
    Subject: TBL #75

Hello felow low-end dwellers.....
    The last issue had a few posts to which I thought I should chime in:
    Re: Distortion. I have to agree the Fulltone Bass Drive is THE bass distortion pedal. In fact, I have a guitarist friend who borrows mine quite a bit too! I originally got a Fulltone FullDrive2 (the guitar pedal) used.
    Liked the dist. and OD but it did thin the tone. I do a lot of solo bass/looping shows and so used it mainly on melodies...where the thinness didn't matter as much. Then I wrote Mike Fuller at Fulltone asking about the Bass Drive. He wrote back saying he could do a mod to my FullDrive so it was more efficient in the low freqs. Bassically, converting it to a Bass Drive. That act alone sold me on the company! If found Mr. Fuller to be a
    man of integrity and his pedals simply the best around!!! Yes, they are a bit pricey, but they are really built. You won't break it (unless you really
    try). And all the components are top notch.True bypass, high quality inputs.
    No signal loss or tonal jeopardy with these pedals. I have tried a thousand distortion/OD pedals and this is IMHO the best. A close second, 'tho, is SWR's Interstellar Overdrive.

-----------------------------------------------
    From the Bottom Line archives

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 11:47:47 -0500
    Subject: Distortion: Fulltone BassDrive

Like others on the list, I spent some time searching for a tube-sounding distortion box. Upon the recommendation of William Wittman, a true
    tone-meister (and a frequent _TBL_ contributor), I bought a Fulltone FullDrive 2 distortion box. After I bought the unit I returned it a couple of times to Fulltone so that Mike Fuller could make some tweaks to the unit to optimize it for bass. He was great to work with and ultimately really nailed it. The result is now in production and called the BassDrive 2. It is amazing! The distortion it produces has a very organic and tubey sound, and it comes very close to duplicating the sound of an SVT or (if you push it) a cranked Marshall. The box also has as true bypass, so when you switch it off it is completely out of your signal chain. It's also whisper-quiet - no hiss at all.

What I really like about the BassDrive is that the unit preserves the personality of my tone, and the tonal characteristics of each of my basses. I still sound like me..but with distortion...my Alembic still
    sounds like an Alembic, my MTD stills sound like an MTD, my Lakland still sounds like a Lakland, and my Thunderbird still sounds like a T-Bird. Unlike every other stomp box I tried, this one doesn't smother my tone. IMHO, there are very few stomp boxes this transparent. I don't want to sound like a stomp box -I want to sound like me!

9. so... i think i might get it... if i dont like it would i be able to get my money back if i sell it? (150)

10. money is sent... soon to be a new owner of a fulltone bassdriver :)
    ill write a review when i get it in.

11. SO ... Where's our review? WITH AN MP3!!!!! (please) ... if you got nowhere to host it I can probably help out ..

12. tat2d_13

tat2d_13

Feb 4, 2004
    Minnesota USA
    I swung by Willies guitars today and picked up a fulltone bass drive.I love this thing.Not to much and not to little its just right IMO.I cant wait to bring this thing to practice.

13. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    The Fulltone Bass Drive replaced my Rat in one minute of use. The Fulltone has pristine clean circuitry and is much more realistic in its emulation of an overdriven tube tone. It is now the only overdrive pedal I will use. It is awesome with my SS amps.

It does color your EQ, unlike what others may have led us to believe, but not too much.

14. How does the Fulltone compare to a Sansamp BDDI in terms of tube amp emulation? The Sansamp got kudos for nearly nailing the SVT tone and the Fulltone gets the same. So do they sound the same? Can the Fulltone be used as a DI as well?

15. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I just got one. I am still playing with it, but I think I'll like it. NONE OF THAT MATTERS!!! YOU ARE LUSTING AFTER A PIECE OF GEAR. One of the fundamental laws of G.A.S. says your going to get it unless one of us convinces you that it will cause impotence.

Good Luck.

16. JES

JES Supporting Member

Well, effects are an acquired taste, and tastes in distortion vary widely. If you want a non-fuzz overdrive-type pedal, this is pretty much the best ever. I've been using bass distortions since 1985 and this one just nailed the rock sound I was looking for. It is more important to my sound than my amp, but not more important than my basses because it's very good at letting your original tone through.

It does have an EQ to it, but I find it highly useful for the way it cuts some highs and emphasizes mids (this is also an important difference from the Sansamp, which I also like -- the sansamp has a smiley face EQ to it, and the Fulltone is much meatier in the mids).

--JES

17. JES

JES Supporting Member

Gotta say that I have had almost the exact opposite experience. I find the SABDDI, when engaged, imparts a smiley face EQ to everything it handles, unless you turn the EQ knobs way to the left. That said, it does yield a good tone and of course it's also an awesome DI.

The other nice thing about the fulltone is if you run it full up (and it can get pretty roaring IME) and then put a fuzz in front, you can get total meltdown.

--JES

18. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I've got them both (actually, I have the Sansamp RBI) and I can say succinctly, that they are no where near the same.

The Fulltone is much smoother and more "analogish" than the Sansamp RBI. The RBI seems brittle and just harsh in my mind. The RBI is not similar in circuitry, apparently, because it adds a lot of hiss up front when you run up the "Drive" knob.

The Fulltone with its compression on is quite subtle and good for someone like me who tends to run too much compression. Of course, the Sansamp has no compression option.

The advantage of the Sansamp in providing drive is that you can do so without altering your EQ. It can also serve as a DI, which the Fulltone cannot. When you run the Fulltone in overdrive, it also looses some of the subfrequencies.

Oh, by the way, I don't know what an SVT sounds like! I don't have one. But I sure as hell love my Fulltone.

Here's a link with my Fender US active Jazz through the Fulltone BassDrive, Ampeg SVT-350H SS XLR out, into mixdown on a studio track - you'll have to listen carefully for the bass tone:
    It's called "When In Rome" by Since Now at:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/sincenowmusic.htm

19. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Smash, my experiences have been the opposite of yours with the Sansamp and Fulldrive.

I've never really found a usable sound using the tube emulation on the sansamp. I can get something that sounds great when I'm playing alone, but it'd mid scooped and just drops out in a band mix so I have to back off the tube emulation. As a DI and bass/treble boost, it's great.

The fulltone can get very wild in comp/cut mode using the second channel. For my needs, the fulltone is much more versatile. I think a lot of people don't run the fulltone in comp / cut mode, it gives the best mild overdrive sound in that mode IMO and keeps more low end.