Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Used Furniture?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Feb 27, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK...so my wife and I are shopping for some new furniture for our den, and living room. I am a frequent shopper at craigslist, so I decided to browse some ads to see how well some of the furniture we are looking at holds it's value.

As I am browsing these ads, I see people selling computer chairs, recliners, and mattresses. I think to myself, there is NO WAY I am buying a used mattress from anyone. I found this really nice computer chair, but the thought of having it in my house after some other family has used it grossed me out.

The worst part about this is that it made me think of hotel room beds, and how often I have slept in them. I won't be doing that again! YUCK! :spit:

So, am I just being obsessive-compulsive? Anyone else think it's nasty to buy a used bed/chair/couch?

-Mike

2. It just depends on the situation. If I can afford new furniture, then I'll buy new. If I see a chair that is just too good to pass up, and it's used, so be it. I dob't think it's That gross. Ok, matresses maybe :D

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would not buy a used mattress, but a chair? If it were a really good chair I'd just clean it. I'd have no trouble with a nice desk either.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You wouldn't buy a used matress? They are great for sound-proofing a room. You could have a nice practice spot in the shed out back, in the garage, down in the basement...

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah.....I'd have no problems buying a used desk. I was thinking more along the lines of used furniture items you would sit on, lie down on, and the such.

I suppose a mattress would be a good idea for sound-proofing a room. I haven't had a problem with that yet, but I will keep it in mind if I do.

-Mike

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Dude!

I spotted a set of four vintage Panton "S" chairs at a junk shop and carried the set away for $35. These things have been re-issued and are going for about $200 and up *each*. So yeah, I'm cool with used furniture. I wouldn't buy an old mattress with crusty stains on it, but I would buy a cool vintage chair or couch and reupholster (sp?) it. I'd much rather have used stuff that fit the aesthetic I was after than new stuff that didn't. :cool:

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I personally see no problem with it, save for the mattress, that is kinda gross. If you buy a used car, aren't you getting 2 used seats, and a couch? If you use any kind of public transportation, you are using the seats after thousands of others. I could go on with this forever. I see no probs.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. Use your better judgement of course. When we moved into our current place we bought a used couch setting, but it's looks newer than some of the display models we saw in stores selling them new. We also bought it from the previous owner, so when we went to look at it, we got to see the rest of their abode. The house was clean and there were no misplaced odours, so it was unlikely the couch had been subjected to constant grossness. We saved a small fortune.

10. Buy used furniture?!? Excluding my mattress (which is new) and my computer chair (which I've had for years), my entire apartment's furnishings cost less than $20. Most of that was garbage-picked (including loveseat and recliner), with the rest inherited or bought ultra-cheap at garage sales. How's that sound to ya, Mike? :D ;)

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia

What the *&^% is a loveseat?

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sounds gross.

Tim...good point on the car. I am going to go to Auto Zone and buy some seat covers for my truck. Hehehe :D

-Mike

13. My living room furniture right now (couch, loveseat (2 person couch) and a chair are a cheap victorian knock-off set. they weren't in great condition when we moved in, but they're not horrible either. looks like previous tenants tried to move them through the door and couldn't. there's paint rubbed on some spots that's the color of the walls.

we bought some upholstry shampoo, cleaned them, and have been using them for three years. now they're really falling apart and look pretty bad....but not bad for student living.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Is that all it is? I was hoping for something juicier.

When you're sitting in your loveseat, do you feel pressure to perform? I would. And what do you call a 3 seater?

15. It's only as juicy as you make it; many have made a "loveseat" much more explicit than it sounds. As for whether I feel pressure to perform in it, that depends on who's sitting next to me :D

A 3-seater is just a "couch"...I actually call my loveseat "the couch" most of the time too, but that's just because I find the real term awkward among some people.

BTW Mike, it's probably not as bad as you're imagining. The stuff was in good shape and quite clean (shouldn't have been thrown away, IMO), and I cleaned it further myself. You'd never know I didn't buy it myself a couple years ago.